Blaze causes $20,000 in damage to restaurant

November 04, 1993

A two-alarm fire yesterday morning caused about $20,000 damage to the Sizzler restaurant in the 8100 block of Ritchie Highway, a county Fire Department spokesman said.

Chief Gary Sheckells said the fire was discovered at 2:45 a.m. by a passerby who notified the Fire Department.

At 2:57 a.m., the second alarm rose as fire on the outside of the building entered a roof overhang and sent smoke inside the restaurant.

Chief Sheckells said the fire may have been caused by a large exterior sign ?? or by a cigarette dropped in dry garden mulch at the building's edge.

He said part of the roof had to be removed to allow smoke to escape. The health department was to inspect the interior of the building to determine if any food was contaminated by smoke.

Firefighters from several stations operating nearly a dozen pieces of equipment brought the fire under control at 3:26 a.m.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.