Bears get back at Scorpions Girls soccer

November 03, 1993|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Staff Writer

No. 5 Hammond handed No. 7 Oakland Mills a double dose of revenge yesterday with a 3-1 victory in a Class 1A-2A South regional girls soccer semifinal.

Not only did the Golden Bears (10-3) pay back the host Scorpions for last year's regional final 1-0 shootout loss, they also avenged last Friday's regular-season 3-1 loss.

Hammond's come-from-behind victory yesterday toppled the defending Class 1A-2A champs, but the Scorpions (9-3-1) know how that feels. Last year, the Bears were the defending champs when the Scorpions dethroned them.

Hammond will meet Howard County champion Wilde Lake, a 2-1 winner over second-seeded South River last night, for the title Friday afternoon at Wilde Lake.

In the first half yesterday, fourth-seeded Hammond escaped a lot of close calls -- most set up by the Scorpions' standout forward Tricia Witte. However, Witte did connect once, feeding Ginny Dye with a nice crossing pass to put top-seeded Oakland Mills up 1-0 in the 23rd minute.

"We've climbed on her back all year long, and we did it again today," said Scorpions coach Steve Matters. "She got us that first goal, and she gave us other opportunities that we didn't cash in."

Witte scored in every regular-season game, and had all three goals against Hammond. In the second half yesterday, however, strong double-teaming from Angela Trancucci and another rotating defender limited Witte's chances.

The Bears' Kacy Williams knows all about defending Witte. A teammate of Witte's on the Columbia Chargers' club team, Williams moved from center halfback to sweeper for much of the second half yesterday.

Williams said the strategy against Witte was simply to deny her the ball.

"Once she gets the ball, you're definitely in trouble. She's very aggressive, and she's not afraid to punch it past anyone and go straight to goal," Williams said.

Witte had a chance to deliver a potential knockout punch on a penalty kick after she was held in the box late in the first half. But Hammond keeper Amy Nestor made a diving save to bat the ball away. Witte, wide open, shot the rebound but hit a post.

Hammond coach Dave Guetler said Nestor's save turned the game around.

"If they score on that, you can stick a fork in us because we're done," said Guetler. "That was a big, big turning point in the game -- when your goalie steps up and saves the penalty kick that keeps them from going up 2-0."

In the second half, the Bears finally found the offense to go with their defense. They scored all three goals with the help of perfectly placed corner kicks by Liz Bielefeld.

Three minutes into the half on the Bears' first corner of the game, Bielefeld looped the ball into the net.

About 15 minutes later, Williams headed in Bielefeld's second corner kick. In the final seven minutes, Bielefeld booted another kick in front of the net where her sister Emily tapped it with her thigh and Ashley Decker popped it past Scorpions keeper Nyiesha Ford (nine saves).

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.