Russell P. Clark
Russell P. Clark, a retired Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. trouble-shooter who flew 25 missions aboard B-17 Flying Fortresses as a radio operator in World War II, died Thursday of a heart attack at North Arundel Hospital.
The Glen Burnie resident was 71.
He retired in 1985 after a 39-year career with the utility.
Born in Severn, he attended schools there and was a 1940 graduate of Glen Burnie High School.
He enlisted in the Army Air Forces in 1943 and was based with the 95th Bomb Group at Horham, England. He was active in the unit's veterans association and enjoyed attending its reunions.
After his discharge, he returned to Glen Burnie and married Ruth M. Martin in 1946.
He was a 40-year member of the Glen Burnie Volunteer Fire Company.
Services were to be held at 10 a.m. today at the Kirkley Ruddick Funeral Home, 421 Crain Highway in Glen Burnie. Interment will be in Glen Haven Memorial Park.
In addition to his wife, his survivors are a son, Colin M. Clark of Brooklyn Park; a daughter, Bonnie C. Keefer of Glen Burnie; a brother, Leslie C. Clark of Linthicum; two sisters, Ruth Myers of North Linthicum and Iva McClean of Holly Hill, Fla.; and six grandchildren.
Anita L. Richardson
Anita Lauve Richardson, 79, a retired foreign service officer, -- died of a stroke Oct. 22 at the Westminster Nursing and Convalescent Center in Westminster, where she had been a resident since 1986.
Her last overseas assignment was as special assistant to U.S. Ambassador Graham Martin at the embassy in Saigon in 1974. She left there shortly before the United States withdrew from Vietnam in April 1975 and retired from the State Department. She lived in Washington, D.C., from 1975 to 1986.
She was born in Upper Montclair, N.J., and was educated partly in France, where she lived with her parents from 1925 to 1934.
In 1937, she earned a bachelor's degree in music, which was jointly awarded by the Johns Hopkins University and the Peabody Conservatory of Music.
She taught music and French at the Calvert School until 1941, when she joined the Red Cross, working in Africa, Rome and Capri during the war years.
She began her foreign service career in 1945 as a cultural assistant in Paris. After the French left Vietnam in 1954, she was a political officer in Saigon. In 1957, she returned to Washington and worked at the State Department as a career development officer.
After studying at the University of California, she was posted to New Delhi, India, in 1958 as an economics officer. She returned to Vietnam during the 1960s as a special assistant to Ambassador Ellsworth Bunker.
"She was a very cultivated person who was reared with a European background," recalled Mary Vance Trent, of Washington, who knew Mrs. Richardson for 40 years.
Interment was to be in Austin, Texas.
She is survived by her husband, E. Drayton Richardson of Lago Vista, Texas; a brother, Henri de Segur Lauve of Grosse Point, Mich.; a sister, Dr. Celeste L. Woodward, and brother-in-law, Dr. Theodore Englar Woodward of Baltimore; and many nieces and nephews.
Bruce Ford Brown
Bruce Ford Brown, chairman of the board of a family-owned investment company and an Annapolis resident active in historical preservation, died Oct. 5 at Anne Arundel Medical Center after suffering a heart attack in his car. He was 73.
Mr. Brown was chairman of Broventure Co. Inc., the investment company, and managed the 70,000-acre Broseco Ranch, a family-owned cattle ranch. The ranch, located at Mount Pleasant, is the second largest in Texas.
He retired in 1975 as president and owner of Bruce GM Diesel of Lodi, N.J., which he established in 1946. He also had owned Power Systems Division of Rocky Mount, N.C., which he sold in 1974 to the Morris Knudsen Co. Inc., of Boise, Idaho, manufacturers of stand-by emergency power generators.
He was born in Philadelphia and reared in Port Deposit and in Irvington, N.Y. He was a 1939 graduate of the Hotchkiss School and attended Williams College.
During World War II, he worked at the Allison Aircraft Engine plant in Indianapolis and later for the Motors Holding Division of General Motors.
He moved to Annapolis in 1975 and became active in the Historic Annapolis Foundation, where he was voted "Man of the Year." He devoted his time to such restoration projects as Acton Hall and the Lord Calvert Hotel.
He was a member of the Annapolitan Club and was a communicant of St. James Parish in Tracy's Landing.
Services were held Oct. 9.
Mr. Brown is survived by his wife, the former Gretel Mangs Ruth of New York City, whom he married in 1970; three sons, Stephen D. Brown of Fayetteville, N.C., Thomas M. Brown of Annapolis and Bruce F. Brown of Santa Monica, Calif.; four daughters, Sarah L. Brown and Greta B. Peters, both of Richmond, Va., Lorraine E. Brown of Santa Monica and Donnaldson K. Brown of New York City; a brother, Vaughan W. Brown of Woodbine; a sister, Greta B. Schutt of Mendenhall, Pa.; and 13 grandchildren.