Cigarette ignites unknown fumes Taneytown business building burns

October 27, 1993

A Taneytown building that housed two small businesses caught fire Monday night when fumes from an unidentified substance were ignited by a cigarette.

No one was injured in the fire, which started shortly before 11 p.m. at the Ridenour Service Center, 230 Roberts Mills Run.

Officials said the fire began when an employee lighted a cigarette near a flammable solvent in the auto repair and assembly shop.

A state fire marshal reported that the fire, which is being considered an accident, caused $5,000 worth of damage.

Firefighters from Taneytown, Harney, Union Bridge and Emmitsburg, plus fire companies from Littlestown and Kingsdale in Pennsylvania, reported the fire under control within 10 minutes.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.