Edgewater Men's Shop closes after 30 years

October 24, 1993

For Arthur Ryterman and Ed London, running Edgewater Men's Shop in Edgewood has been a full-time occupation. But after 30 years, their shop is going out of business.

Orange signs cover the windows at the Edgewater Village Shopping Center, announcing the store's last big sale.

The partners decided three months ago to retire from retail, citing declining sales, increased competition in the clothing industry from discount outlets, and the lackluster economy.

Mr. Ryterman, who immigrated to the United States from Poland, and Mr. London met in 1955 while working for the May Co. department stores.

They opened their first store in New Castle, Del., shortly thereafter. They moved to the Ritchie Farmers Market in Glen Burnie in 1969, and later opened a store in Joppatowne.

They have been at their Edgewood location since 1973.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.