Balkan Update

October 09, 1993

Fighting intensified throughout Bosnia, including on a key supply route. Serb troops were reported advancing toward the protected Muslim enclave of SREBRENICA.

A cease-fire has taken effect in BIHAC, scene of intra-Muslim fighting.

Bosnian Croat military forces and the Muslim-led Bosnian army agreed to exchange more than 5,000 prisoners between Oct. 11 and Oct. 19.

The Bosnian army said that three mass graves containing 575 bodies of civilians had been found near MOSTAR. The army said most of the bodies were believed to be Muslims from areas controlled by Bosnian Croat forces. The report was denied by Bosnian Croat officials and could not be independently confirmed.

A five-year-old boy was reunited with his mother 18 months after they were separated by Bosnia's civil war. The reunion, arranged by the International Red Cross, was only the second in which families had been brought together in SARAJEVO since the war began in April 1992.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.