Lions roar past Terps, 70-7 Parting shot caps 35-1-1 series

October 03, 1993|By Paul McMullen | Paul McMullen,Staff Writer

COLLEGE PARK -- Mercifully, Maryland doesn't get a next year against Penn State.

Last night the Nittany Lions went looking for a bookend to place opposite their 57-0 blowout of Maryland in 1917 that began one of college football's most one- sided series. It came easier than expected, as Penn State completely humbled the Terps, 70-7, at Byrd Stadium.

There are no more scheduled meetings between the two, and one wonders why Maryland would want to reopen the series, considering that Penn State leads it 35-1-1.

It was the second-largest margin of defeat ever for Maryland, behind only a 76-0 loss it suffered against Navy in 1913. Penn State became only the second Maryland opponent to score 70 points, as the Nittany Lions rolled up nine touchdowns, two field goals and a safety.

The pounding began on the Nittany Lions' first possession, as Ki-Jana Carter took a pitch from quarterback Kerry Collins and rambled up the left side untouched for 63 yards and a touchdown. It ended with 1:29 left, when third-team fullback Brian Milne capped a 93-yard drive by the reserves with a 10-yard run.

All told, the Nittany Lions rolled up 538 yards rushing and 133 passing, and limited a Maryland passing attack that had been averaging 408 yards to 170.

"They're a great team, but they're not that much better than us," said Scott Milanovich, the Terps' sophomore quarterback. "It was just frustrating from the very beginning, because I felt like I had my hands tied. They really took us out of our game plan."

Penn State coach Joe Paterno agreed.

"We're not as good as we looked, and Maryland's not as bad as they looked," Paterno said. "I would have preferred it had been a closer game. I don't think these kinds of games are good for either team."

Actually, considering the way the two teams performed in September, the outcome was quite predictable.

Unbeaten (5-0) and No. 9 Penn State, which wants a Rose Bowl fTC berth in its first year in the Big Ten Conference, needed just five minutes to establish its superiority offensively, defensively and on special teams.

Maryland (0-5) continued its worst start since 1970, and the Terps need a win at Georgia Tech on Saturday to avoid their first 0-6 start since the 1967 team went 0-9.

Penn State led 25-0 after 17 minutes and 46-7 at the half, quickly brushing aside any upset plans Maryland had.

The Nittany Lions, whose pass defense was supposed to be suspect, blitzed Milanovich early and then maintained the pressure with a basic three- or four-man rush. In the first half alone, he was sacked five times and threw three interceptions. Milanovich, who had set Maryland records for passing yardage in his last two games, was limited to 19 completions in 32 attempts, and was unable to add to his 16 touchdown passes.

The Terps' lone touchdown came on a 3-yard run by Mark Mason after a Penn State fumble, but Maryland didn't win the turnover battle, either. The Terps lost six turnovers, and Penn State turned four of them into touchdowns.

Even when Penn State didn't start with good field position, it had the luxury of operating against a Maryland defense that is ranked last among the nation's 106 Division I-A teams and allowing 606 yards and 53.8 points per game. The Nittany Lions' longest time of possession on their six touchdown drives in the first half was 1:33.

The Penn State offense, meanwhile, was able to run at will, as junior tailbacks Carter and Mike Archie both posted career highs. Carter carried 13 times for 159 yards, and Archie needed 11 tries to reach 121 yards. Collins didn't need to throw, but when he did, Bobby Engram was usually open, as the quick split end burned the Terps on touchdowns of 10 and 16 yards.

"We knew they [the Terps] had some trouble on defense," Collins said. "We felt we had to control the ball, and obviously we did."

In the first five minutes, Penn State displayed its superiority.

Milanovich was sacked on Maryland's third offensive play, and when the Nittany Lions got the ball, they needed just three plays and 40 seconds to move 75 yards to their first points.

The Terps' second possession went nowhere, and Penn State's Derek Bochna went unimpeded through the left side of the Terps' protection and blocked Milanovich's punt. Penn State took over on the Maryland 7-yard line, but the Terps got a moral victory when the the Nittany Lions settled for a field goal.

The good feeling didn't last long.

Collins got a 75-yard touchdown drive started with a 45-yard bomb to Freddie Scott. The Nittany Lions recorded a safety when center Jamie Bragg, working from the Terps' 5-yard line, hiked the ball past Milanovich, who was still calling signals, and out of the end zone.

Milanovich, who was replaced by redshirt freshman Kevin Foley in the fourth quarter, was intercepted three times in the span of eight attempts in the second quarter, when the Nittany Lions scored four touchdowns.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.