Friday's obituary for Robert E. Lee Day, 67, a former...


October 01, 1993

Friday's obituary for Robert E. Lee Day, 67, a former Baltimorean and teacher, should have said his sister is Mildred Day White of Baltimore.

* The Sun regrets the error.

Robert E. Lee Day

Teacher, veteran

Robert E. Lee Day, 67, a former Baltimorean and teacher, died Sept. 24 of pneumonia at Scripps Memorial Hospital in Encinitas, Calif.


The Del Mar, Calif., resident was reared in Forest Park. After graduation in 1944 from Forest Park High, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy Submarine Service and served in the Pacific Theater. After his discharge, he continued his education at Gettysburg College where he earned his bachelor's degree in 1948.

In 1948, he enlisted in the Air Force. He was a pilot and eventually a deputy base commander. While in the Air Force, he received his master's degree in business from the Air University and was stationed at the Pentagon from 1962 to 1965. He retired in 1969.

A resident of Del Mar for the last 24 years, Mr. Lee became a sixth-grade school teacher for the Del Mar Union School District until he retired a second time in 1990.

"He loved teaching kids," remembered his son, Kevin L. Day of Del Mar. "He taught them how to play marbles as well as economics and how to live life."

A memorial service is set for 1 p.m. tomorrow at Solana Beach (Calif.) Presbyterian Church.

He also is survived by his wife of 45 years, Toni Walker Day; daughter Robin Day Edwards of San Bernardino, Calif; sister Tony Walker Day of Baltimore and one grandchild.

The family suggested memorial contributions may be made to the Arthritis Foundation.

Thomas S. Diffendal

Day news foreman

Thomas S. Diffendal, retired day news foreman in The Baltimore Sun composing room who was active in the Westminster community, died Tuesday of cancer at his home in Finksburg.

Mr. Diffendal, 80, retired in 1978 after 30 years in the newspaper composing room, where earlier he was an advertising copy cutter, distributing advertising copy to the printers to be set in type.

Bill Bocklage, retired night news foreman at The Sun, described him as "universally well liked. He maintained discipline by example."

Earlier, he worked with his father in Westminster at the Democratic Advocate, now the Carroll County Times.

During World War II, he had worked in a Baltimore shipyard and served in a unit that replaced the Maryland National Guard after it was called into federal service.

The Westminster native was a life member of the Westminster Fire and Hose Company, which he joined in 1934. He taught extension courses in firefighting and served as fire marshal and in many other offices, including chief and president.

In 1935, he became a member of the Westminster City Band, playing the bass drum in parades until this year, when he performed only in concerts and marched with the color guard in Memorial Day and Fourth of July parades. He played shortstop on sandlot baseball teams as a youth and later played for the Union Printers Baseball Club in Baltimore.

A founder of the Westminster Little League, he also was a member of the Oldtimers Baseball Association of Maryland and a founder of the Westminster Civitan Club. He was a member of what is now the Columbia Typographical Union No. 101-12 and also belonged to the Association of Retired Employees of The Baltimore Sun.

Long a member of the Bethesda United Methodist Church in Gist, he and his wife served for many years on the committee that produced the Bethesda-Zion Gospel Show, an annual gospel music performance for the benefit of his church and of Zion United Methodist Church in Shipley.

Services will be conducted at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Pritts Funeral Home in Westminster.

He is survived by his wife, the former Mary Lee Arrington; a sister, Mary Elizabeth Diffendal of Westminster; two grandsons and three great-grandchildren. A son, Thomas E. Diffendal, died in 1977. Mamie V. Robinson, a homemak- er, died Sunday of a heart attack at her home on Park Heights Avenue in Northwest Baltimore. She was 82.

She was a native of Harverson, Va., where her mother taught school in a one-room school house and her father was a longshoreman.

In the early 1930s, she worked on a farm owned by relatives near Norfolk, Va. She was also employed as a seamstress in a Norfolk uniform factory before she moved to Baltimore in 1940.

"Everybody called her Granny," remembered her daughter, Sheila Smith of Baltimore. "She loved to tell her grandchildren about the old days when pork chops were 10 cents a pound and used to tell them that you have to stay in school these days to make it. She was a great believer in education, because she had only a third-grade education."

Fond of bingo, she played regularly at Fullerton Manor Bingo on Belair Road. "She'd play bingo every chance she'd get," said Mrs. Smith.

Mrs. Robinson also enjoyed baking and her specialty was a roll she called the flip-over.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.