Fallston subdues Wilde Lake, 4-2 Girls soccer

September 29, 1993|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,Contributing Writer

Fallston girls soccer coach Nancy Ferguson said that before yesterday's game against host Wilde Lake, her 11th-ranked team hadn't put together two solid halves all season.

Yesterday, however, with a lot of effort and a little bit of luck, everything came together for the Cougars in a 4-2 win -- their first in three tries against a Howard County foe.

After the Cougars (3-2) jumped to a 2-0 lead in the first half, they continued to dominate for several minutes after the break, keeping Wilde Lake on the defensive.

"We went into the second half ahead, and we were determined to stay there," said Ferguson, whose team dominated for several minutes after benefiting from two calls near halftime that just about broke the Wildecats' spirit.

The first occurred with under five minutes to play in the half, when with Fallston leading 1-0, the Cougars' Beth Blasi fired a shot past Leah Angle in goal after the referee had blown his whistle. But the goal was allowed, and Fallston extended its lead to 2-0.

The second, and more back-breaking of the two, came at the end of the half, when Wilde Lake's Kristen Riismandel sent a hard shot off the post and into the goal.

But the referee ruled that time had expired before the ball had crossed the goal, nullifying the score and sending the dejected Wildecats (1-1) into halftime trailing 2-0.

"I've never seen that," said Wilde Lake coach Rick Wilson. "I don't like to make a big deal out of the referee, but I've been coaching for six years and this is the first time I've ever not said, 'Nice game, ref.'

"But a good team puts that kind of stuff behind them and moves forward. At halftime, their chins were down, and they just weren't playing at the start of the second half."

Fallston took control, outshooting Wilde Lake 8-2 in the first 25 minutes after the break, and took a 3-1 lead on a goal by Becky Silvestri with 18:08 remaining.

"We took advantage of the situation," said Ferguson. "They were down, and we weren't about to let a two-goal lead slip away."

The Wildecats rallied late, cutting the lead to 3-2 when Katie Douglas headed in Lindsay Waxler's corner kick with 9:09 left, but a late goal by Fallston's Jenny Weber clinched it.

The victory was big for the Cougars, who used good passing and overall aggressive play.

"I think we put a lot of effort into this," said Blasi, who had a goal and two assists.

Said Wilson: "We just weren't able to execute. We've got a lot of things to work on. Fallston played their style of play the whole game, but I still think we're the better team."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.