Bel Air, Centennial tie one on in battle of 13s Field hockey

September 29, 1993|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Staff Writer

No. 13 did not prove lucky for Bel Air or Centennial in field hockey yesterday.

This week, the two teams tied for No. 13 in The Baltimore Sun's Top 15, and each hoped to get a jump on the other in yesterday's head-to-head meeting. It didn't happen.

Instead, the teams played to a 1-1 deadlock in double overtime in Bel Air.

"We're tied for 13 and I couldn't believe we tied," said Bel Air link Jamie Kunkle. "We have what it takes, but it just wasn't there today."

Some of it was -- the Bobcats (2-0-1) dominated much of the game with 18 penalty corners and 17 shots. They just couldn't finish.

In 10 minutes of seven-on-seven, sudden-death overtime, the Bobcats outshot Centennial 6-2 and had a 3-1 edge on corners, but could not put the ball in the cage.

"Scoring only one goal is basically what we've been doing," said Bel Air coach Phyllis Hemmes. "[The problem] is finishing. I changed the formation looking for a little more link play, and we got that today, but we still couldn't finish."

Bobcats links Kunkle and Amy Rafalski sent many strong passes into the circle but the forwards could not get their sticks on most of them.

Rafalski, however, connected with forward Miki Schultz early in the second half for the tying goal. Rafalski's pass came from outside the circle, but Schultz deflected a slow roller that Centennial keeper Becca Armiger did not play.

"My teammates said it came from outside the circle, so I let it go," said Armiger. Goals can only be scored from inside the striking circle.

Otherwise, Armiger (seven saves) and the rest of the Centennial defense held up well against the relentless Bobcats attack.

The Eagles (2-1-1) mounted their best offensive effort early when Abbey Forbes finished a surge with 20:50 to go in the first half. Forbes took a rebound off a defender's stick and punched the ball past Bobcats goalie Jessica McGreen, who made five saves.

Like the Bobcats, the Eagles had trouble finishing on their nine corners and nine shots in the game. In the first half, the Eagles threatened on several corners with Liz Sturm, Forbes and Katrina Wolfe connecting a couple times only to watch McGreen make the saves.

In the second half, Allison Altcher almost gave the Eagles a two-goal lead, barely missing on a nice crossing pass from the wing. But after that, the Eagles, who did not practice Monday because of the rain, went flat.

"I felt like Bel Air came out much more hungry in the second half," said Centennial coach Gail Purcell. "We came out and relaxed. We looked tired. We were dying in the overtime. This was the first time we fell apart in the second half, and I have to chalk that up to youth -- we only have two senior starters [Wolfe and Forbes].

"This team is going to get much better. But the way we played today, I'm just glad we got the tie."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.