F.S. Key, Fallston find little satisfaction in tie Field hockey

September 29, 1993|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,Staff Writer

No. 8 Francis Scott Key took a 2-0 first-half lead yesterday, and No. 6 Fallston battled back to tie the game and then dominate the two overtime periods -- only to be shut down by Eagles goalie Missy Muller in the end.

zTC The 2-2 tie in Uniontown left both field hockey teams' coaches a bit frustrated.

Visiting Fallston coach Alice Puckett was pleased with the way her team rallied, but she would have preferred to go home with a win and a 3-0 record.

Key second-year coach Mindi Wagner was not pleased with the Eagles' overall effort, and said they were fortunate to tie.

The turning point came with 2:15 left in the first half and Key ahead 2-0. Fallston was pressing with two straight penalty corners and finally found the net when Susan Mackley was left unmarked in front and scored off a feed from Daina Burton. Puckett said going into the half trailing by one instead of two made a huge difference.

"It was a great way to come out of the half," she said.

"Mentally, we had much more hope with it 2-1 as opposed to 2-0 and we talked about the positive things we did in the half. It also was big getting a goal past their goalie [Muller]. We knew she was very strong."

Fallston finally got the equalizer with nine minutes left in regulation after countless opportunities were turned back by the Eagles' defense.

Pam Gauss got the goal, assisted by Lauren Grabowski.

Muller (nine saves) stole the show in the two overtime periods, as the teams played six-on-six.

Fallston's Stacey French and Nicole Taylor each had two solid scoring chances in the second overtime, but Muller cut down the angles and came up with some big saves.

"It would have been nice to pop one in in overtime, that would have made it sweet. But their goalie was the difference," Puckett said.

"We can't worry about that. We dominated the overtime periods and showed we had more depth. I don't think in all my 13 years of coaching we ever came back from down 2-0 and they're a very strong team, so we have to feel happy about that."

After a slow start, Wagner called a timeout 10 minutes into the game and the Eagles responded with two goals within two minutes.

Sophomore Stacey Greene got things started for the Eagles (3-1-2) with a solid crank from 15 yards out on the left side off a penalty corner. The goal, assisted by Jen McDaniel, was the first shot on goal for either team and came with 16:30 remaining in the half.

McDaniel made it 2-0 a little more than two minutes later off an assist from Holly Talbert.

"The first 10 minutes we came out slow and didn't have our sticks down. They beat us to the ball and were cutting to the ball while we were waiting on it," Wagner said.

"I thought we were going to be able to come alive and play our game after the timeout and two goals, but they showed a lot of guts coming back."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.