Staubitz facing more burglary charges Former colleague is among victims

September 28, 1993|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Staff Writer Staff writer Sandy Banisky contributed to this article.

Former Deputy State Health Secretary John M. Staubitz Jr., charged last week with robbing four Carroll County houses, is expected to be charged today with breaking into three in Howard County, police said.

Police said one of those homes belongs to James E. Narron, who, along with Mr. Staubitz, was convicted last year of financial improprieties in the Maryland State Games scandal.

Authorities said yesterday that at least half of the houses were listed for sale and that Mr. Staubitz could have known about them through his job as a real estate agent.

Mr. Staubitz, 45, of the 6900 block of Pinecrest Road, Catonsville, is expected to be served with the charges at the Carroll County Detention Center, where he has been held on $100,000 bond since his arrest Friday by Maryland State Police. Also held there and charged as Mr. Staubitz's accomplice is Robert Ernest Emmons Jr., 29, of Brooklyn Park.

Carroll State's Attorney Thomas E. Hickman said the two men met while cellmates in the state prison system.

Division of Correction officials could not confirm that.

Mr. Staubitz took and paid for 45 hours of real estate sales instruction through Coldwell Banker Grempler Realty Inc., according to Ted Hill, sales manager at the real estate company's Greenspring office at Falls and Joppa roads in Baltimore County and the man who hired Mr. Staubitz.

According to records at the state Department of Licensing and Regulation, Mr. Staubitz got his real estate license March 16, 1993.

Mr. Hill said that Mr. Staubitz joined the 46-member sales staff at Grempler's Greenspring office days later. It was not clear yesterday how Mr. Staubitz managed this, because Division of Correction officials said over the weekend that he wasn't released from his 10-month term in the state prison system until June 23.

Knowledge of Mr. Staubitz's difficulties were "a shock for us," Mr. Hill said yesterday. "We never had any problems with him, and he seemed to be very sociable and likable."

Mr. Hill said that he terminated Mr. Staubitz's employment contract yesterday morning. Mr. Hill said that Mr. Staubitz never mentioned his past as a high state official or his conviction for conspiracy to him.

Mr. Hill said that Mr. Staubitz did not have access to "key boxes," which real estate agents commonly use to obtain entry to unoccupied homes, but that, as an agent, he could check the Multiple Listing Services computer data base to locate homes that were on the market.

One of the burglary victims, Jeffrey D. Brooks of the 2000 block of Manchester Road, Westminster, said yesterday that he wasn't aware of ever meeting Mr. Staubitz during open houses in past months.

"There have been so many real estate people in here," Mr. Brooks said, noting that his home is not listed with Grempler. But a key often hidden near a door for real estate agents to use had been missing for about a month, Mr. Brooks said.

The Carroll burglaries -- two in Westminster, one each in Hampstead and Manchester -- took place Sept. 14-16. The Howard burglaries were reported last week, said Sgt. Gary Gardner, a county police spokesman.

In all, police and prosecutors said, as much as $50,000 worth of silver, guns, electronic equipment and credit cards was stolen.

Court documents say the men were arrested after trying to use a credit card reported stolen from one of the houses to make purchases at two department stores in Owings Mills and then selling some of the items at a pawn shop.

Although state police in Westminster said that Mr. Emmons and Mr. Staubitz could be charged with additional burglaries in Baltimore County and Baltimore City, police spokesmen in both jurisdictions said they weren't aware of any pending charges against the two.

Yesterday, Mr. Staubitz and Mr. Emmons deferred their bail review hearings in Carroll District Court until they could hire attorneys.

Mr. Hickman late yesterday filed papers seeking to have bail for the two revoked.

Mr. Staubitz was the former No. 2 official at the health department and was released from prison three months ago after serving a 10-month sentence for skimming thousands of dollars from the State Games, a relatively small program that he -- and Mr. Narron -- supervised. A legislative audit in 1990 revealed improprieties in the program.

Mr. Staubitz was convicted on a single charge of conspiracy to commit misconduct in office in May 1992. Before he could be sentenced in July, he left town. He was arrested in August in a Las Vegas motel room.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.