Return tickets Loyola for victory Score with :52 left defeats Mt. St. Joe

September 26, 1993|By Marc Bouchard | Marc Bouchard,Contributing Writer

Loyola junior tailback Reggie Boyce says he and the Dons aren't worried when they trail late in a game.

He showed why with a 50-yard punt return for a touchdown with 52 seconds left that gave No. 14 Loyola an 18-13 win over host Mount St. Joseph yesterday in a Maryland Scholastic Association Armstrong A Conference game.

"We know if we keep it close, we'll always be in it," said Boyce, who finished with 42 yards rushing on eight carries. "We don't get worried or anything like that."

Boyce's coach, Joe Brune, agreed.

"When you've got some explosive players, you always have a chance," said Brune, whose Dons improved to 1-2 overall and 1-0 in the MSA. "We feel we're always in it till it's over."

The Dons struck first with a run-dominated drive in the first

quarter. After Mount St. Joseph (0-4, 0-1) was stopped on downs on the opening series of the game, Loyola put together a 10-play scoring drive that was capped by senior fullback Brian Oates' 3-yard touchdown run. Kevin Kaiser's extra-point attempt went wide left and Loyola led 6-0 with 5:55 left in the first quarter.

The Gaels answered with an 11-play drive that ended with a 5-yard touchdown run by senior Julius Weems. Pat O'Donnell's point-after kick gave Mount St. Joseph a 7-6 lead with 52 seconds left in the first quarter.

Senior Eddie Pailen carried the ball six times for 30 yards on the drive. He finished the game with 86 yards on 22 carries.

On the ensuing series, the Dons put together a 15-play possession that lasted 7:18 and moved the ball to the Gaels' 11-yard line. But three penalties forced Loyola to punt with 5:29 ,, left in the half.

Neither team could move the ball effectively with their next two possessions and the half ended with Mount St. Joseph leading, 7-6.

Early in the second half, Weems (eight carries, 95 yards) provided the biggest play of the game for the Gaels when he took a sweep 55 yards for a touchdown 3:20 into the third quarter. Loyola blocked the extra-point attempt, but the Gaels -- had built a 13-6 lead.

Loyola opened the fourth quarter with a five-play drive that was capped by a 1-yard touchdown by junior tailback Scott Brown (11 carries, 68 yards) with 9:15 left, bringing the Dons within 13-12.

On the two-point try, Nicholas' pass sailed through the hands of junior Damien Austin, keeping the Gaels in front.

After getting the ball back, Loyola drove the Gaels' 1-yard line, but Nicholas was stuffed on a fourth-down run, turning the ball back over to Mount St. Joseph.

All that did, though, was postpone Boyce's heroics.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.