Meade rallies past Sev. Park Mustangs score 35-28 upset in OT

September 25, 1993|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Staff Writer

Unranked Meade (2-2) proved that with a big-play threat such as Kenny Walker, a team is never really out of a game.

Walker and his Mustangs teammates were dominated in the first half at eighth-ranked Severna Park (3-1) last night, but overcame a 14-point halftime deficit and stunned the host Falcons, 35-28, in overtime.

The game was tied at 28 in regulation, and Meade won the coin toss for overtime. Each team gets the ball at the 10-yard line with four downs to score, and the team with the most points after the exchange wins.

Meade coach Jerry Hartman made an unusual decision and took the ball after winning the toss. It paid off as quarterback James Ellis hit Sean McNaboe with an 11-yard scoring pass on second down and Brian McIlhargie kicked his fifth extra point of the night.

The Ellis-to-Adam Butts combination had produced a 4-yard touchdown pass with 7:02 left in regulation, and McIlhargie's kick tied it.

Severna Park's Matt Long (20 carries for 117 yards) ran the ball the first two downs in overtime to give the Falcons a third-and-three.

After Sean Miller threw an incompletion, Long appeared to have dived into the end zone for an apparent chance at tying the game.

"I saw his knee hit the ground short of the goal line," said the referee who made the controversial call.

Severna Park rushed for 223 yards in the first half and Miller had 47 passing (2-for-4) as the Falcons ran 36 offensive plays to only 17 by the Mustangs. Meade managed only 130 yards of offense in the first half, 63 rushing and 67 passing.

While he didn't score, Walker (17 carries, 155 yards) was sensational in the second half with 112 yards on 13 carries setting up both touchdowns that pulled the Mustangs even. The four-year starter touched the ball only four times for 43 yards in the first half.

Overshadowed in the loss for the Falcons was the performance of junior back Mark Frye, who carried 13 times for 107 yards and scored three touchdowns.

Frye scored on runs of six and 32 yards, and also grabbed a 36-yard touchdown pass from Miller with 40 seconds left in the first half.

With 6-foot-2, 250-pound middle linebacker Doran Brown leading the way, Meade managed to hold Severna Park to 85 yards rushing in the second half. The Falcons had 308 yards rushing for the game, but came up on the short end.

Brown was all over the field along with Walker, who was at outside linebacker in shutting down the Falcons and preventing them from scoring after the first half.

Meade also pressured Miller, who did not complete a pass in the second half and was intercepted by Damion Moss.

On the other side, Severna Park had interceptions by Mike Fleming and Shane Norgard and a big 12-yard sack by Chris Care that sent Ellis to the sidelines for one play with 1:06 left in the third period.

One of the biggest plays of the game followed as Jeff Green took over at quarterback and handed off to Walker on a second-and-long situation.

Walker gave it to Ray Otis on a double reverse that caught the Falcons napping. Otis rambled 46 yards to cut the lead to 28-21 after the kick.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.