No. 1 City rips Walbrook, 48-14

September 25, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Senior wide receiver Dwight Banks caught six passes for 219 yards and five touchdowns yesterday to lead top-ranked City to a 48-14 triumph over visiting non-league rival Walbrook.

Banks didn't catch a pass in the second half.

Behind quarterback Teron Matthews and Banks, the Knights (4-0) opened a 40-0 halftime lead before switching to a ground-control offense in the second half.

"We have to use Dwight more often because he is by far the best player in the area," said City coach George Petrides, whose team ran its win streak to 24 games. "Dwight can catch the ball, he doesn't like to be tackled and he knows where the end zone is."

Banks turned a 10-yard out pattern into a 26-yard touchdown reception with 6:31 to go in the first quarter by breaking one tackle, avoiding another and winning the race to the end zone.

Walbrook (2-2) fumbled on the first play of its ensuing possession, and Banks and Matthews made the Warriors pay. Matthews hit Banks on a 25-yard touchdown strike on the first play of the drive to give the Knights a 12-0 lead with 4:50 remaining in the first quarter.

The Warriors turned the ball over on downs near midfield on their next possession and one play later were down 18-0 after Matthews connected with Banks on a 52-yard touchdown.

"I kept telling my players to give [Banks] a cushion, but they kept wanting to play bump-and-run on him, and that's a definite no-no," said Walbrook coach Bill Hice.

The Warriors' opening drive of the second quarter lasted one play, as junior linebacker Walter Vaughn recovered a fumble at Walbrook's 10-yard line, setting up a 10-yard touchdown run by Matthews. Matthews hit senior tailback Ricky Dangerfield for the two-point conversion to give the hosts a 26-0 lead.

City began its next possession at its 10, but got some breathing room when Matthews avoided a sack and hit Banks for an 18-yard gain. Matthews went right back to his favorite receiver on the next play, and Banks turned a simple down-and-out route into a 69-yard touchdown, as he slipped a tackle and raced down the left sideline. Dangerfield's two-point conversion made it 34-0.

"I felt like I was in that zone today," said Banks, who entered the game with nine catches for 157 yards and three touchdowns. "They were playing me a little soft at times and we would go underneath on them and when they tried to come up, we just went over the top."

Walbrook scored with 5:39 left in the third quarter on a 2-yard run by sophomore David Merritte. Merritte added a second score from 1 yard out in the fourth quarter.

"We just seemed like we couldn't get started today," said Hice. "In the second half, they perked up and started playing, but by then, it was too late."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.