C. Russell Hurd IIAdventurer, artistC. Russell Hurd II, a...


September 23, 1993

C. Russell Hurd II

Adventurer, artist

C. Russell Hurd II, a military adventurer, artist and former resident of Chestertown, died of cancer Aug. 20 in Acapulco, Mexico. He was 72.

He had moved to Acapulco in 1962 to manage a guest house, the Villa Mirasol, which a friend had inherited from an aunt. For Mr. Hurd, that job was a quiet finale to a life of roaming, military exploits during and after World War II, and service with the Central Intelligence Agency, his brother said.

Mr. Hurd was born in New York City and grew up in Red Bank, where he graduated from the Rumson Country Day School in 1936. He moved with his family in 1940 to The Reward, a 17th-century farm in Chestertown. After his graduation from the St. George School in Newport, R.I., in 1940, Mr. Hurd studied painting for two years at the Philadelphia Academy of Art, leaving to join the American Field Service.

Sent to North Africa, he drove an ambulance during the desert campaign when the British army was driven back into Egypt by the Germans. At the height of the fighting, he and five other ambulance drivers crashed through the German lines to rescue a wounded British general.

Mr. Hurd then switched from driver to soldier, enlisting in the British army for the sweeping advances that eventually drove the Germans out of North Africa.

After he was wounded in Sicily, he was sent to Sandhurst, the British military academy, where he had a reunion with his father, Lt. Col. Edward A. Hurd, who was on Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's staff, and his brother, Lt. Edward A. Hurd Jr., a B-24 bomber pilot with the Army's 8th Air Force.

Lou Azrael, then a reporter for the Baltimore News-Post, wrote a story about this family reunion of Marylanders in England during wartime.

After graduation from Sandhurst in 1945, Mr. Hurd joined the Coldstream Guards and was stationed in Austria. Later he served as an intelligence officer for the British during the establishment of Israel.

He resigned from the army in 1948, returned to the United States and joined the CIA. Sent to Beirut, Lebanon, he soured on the U.S. government's handling of Near East affairs and resigned in 1953 to pursue a career as a painter and writer.

"My brother was an adventurer," recalled his brother Eliot P. Hurd of Baltimore. "At one point in his life he lived in a shack in Vera Cruz, Mexico, where he worked as a shrimper and built a school to educate the poor children there. He did all kinds of things and loved to travel."

He was married in 1956 to Nancy Whitney of New York, the daughter of Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney. They were divorced in 1957. Another marriage, in 1971 to a Canadian woman, ended in divorce five years later.

A memorial service is planned for next spring and will be held at Old St. Paul's in Chestertown, where he was a member for many years.

Besides his brother in Baltimore, he is survived by another brother, Edward A. Hurd Jr. of Chicago, and several nieces and nephews.

Patricia Parker Dewey

Radio station owner

Patricia Parker Dewey, a radio station owner and pianist who lived in Baltimore from 1964 to 1971, died Monday of kidney failure at a hospital in Richmond, Va.

Mrs. Dewey, who was 71 and had homes in Irvington, Va., and in Chevy Chase, was the owner of radio station WNNT-AM in Warsaw, Va., and a former principal owner of WKWI-AM in Kilmarnock, Va.

A pianist and composer, she appeared as a soloist with the National Air Force Symphony orchestra several times between the late 1940s and mid-1970s.

She lived in the Kernewood area near Loyola College while in Baltimore and was a volunteer at Union Memorial Hospital. In the Washington area, she was active with several organizations, including the National Symphony and the National Museum for Women in the Arts.

She was a native of California who was reared in Jackson, Miss.

Her first husband, Grayson Headley, died in 1961. Her second marriage, to Dr. M. Lee Williams of Baltimore, ended in divorce.

Services will be conducted at noon tomorrow at Christ Episcopal Church in Irvington and at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Francis Episcopal Church in Potomac.

Her survivors include her husband, Ralph B. Dewey; a son, Phillip Lee Williams of Chevy Chase; and her stepmother, Josephine Parker of Arlington, Va.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.