Towson escapes Sparrows Point, 4-3 Boys soccer

September 22, 1993|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,Contributing Writer

After finishing .500 last season and losing six of their top players to graduation, the Sparrows Point Pointers were supposed to be in a rebuilding phase.

Don't tell that to No. 13 Towson.

The Generals traveled to Sparrows Point yesterday only to find themselves in an all-out, end-to-end battle with the Pointers, falling behind by two goals before rallying for a 4-3 win on a goal by Ian Wildey in double overtime.

"I'm still a little stunned," said Generals coach Randy Dase, whose team, which dominated most of its preseason scrimmages, trailed for a large portion of the game. "I always say soccer is a crazy game. I think this game proved it."

The Pointers' new strategy of forcing the action on offense, and the Generals' willingness to play along, made the game look like pingpong. All told, there were 57 shots on goal, with Towson (1-0 overall, 1-0 Baltimore County 1A-2A League) holding a 33-24 advantage.

"I don't believe in conservative ball," said Pointers first-year coach Tommy Karle. "My boys are in shape to run for 90 minutes. I don't mind scoring four and giving up three, just as long as we win."

After first-half goals by Sparrows Point's Tim Chester and Towson's Josh Fastie, the Pointers (1-1, 0-1) made their biggest surge shortly after intermission.

Jeff Harrison put the Pointers ahead 2-1 on a wild shot 39 seconds into the half. After getting the ball 25 yards out, he spun and lofted a shot over outstretched goalie Jon Vaupel.

Six minutes later, Wayne Brinkley took a crossing pass from Chris Butler and beat Vaupel to extend the lead to 3-1.

That, Dase said, is when Sparrows Point made its crucial mistake.

"They slowed the ball down, and I think it hurt them," Dase said. "It looked like they didn't want to play with us, and I told my kids that. I think our kids woke up and took advantage of it."

Especially freshman Ryan Cuomo.

Cuomo scored Towson's second and third goals, both on low shots inside the far post, in a two-minute span midway through the half to pull his team even.

After an scoreless five-minute sudden-death overtime, the Generals took control. Wildey took a pass from Spencer Ford on the right side, and connected on a shot from 10 yards out to give Towson the win.

"I got a great ball from Spencer, and just turned around and hit it," said Wildey, who added that he wasn't surprised at Sparrows Point's level of play. "Last year, they gave us a really good game. I think a lot of guys thought that this would be a blowout, but they really battled."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.