Baltimore man gets 6 years in burglariesA Carroll Circuit...

CARROLL COUNTY BRIEFS

September 22, 1993

Baltimore man gets 6 years in burglaries

A Carroll Circuit judge yesterday sentenced a Baltimore man to six years in state prison for his role in two January burglaries in Westminster.

Abdul Matin Barr Muntaqeen, 39, of the 2000 block of N. Bentalou St., was sentenced to eight years in prison on each of two counts of daytime burglary by Judge Raymond E. Beck Sr. The judge suspended two years of each sentence and ordered the terms to be served concurrently.

Muntaqeen was originally charged with 18 counts -- including daytime burglary, conspiracy, malicious destruction and felony theft -- after his arrest in January.

Court records say that he pleaded guilty to two counts of daytime burglary in exchange for a lighter jail sentence. Prosecutors dropped the remaining 16 counts.

The records say that on Jan. 15, state police Tfc. James W. Long stopped a Honda driven by Muntaqeen after someone said two men had been seen driving away from a Westminster house. Also in the Honda was Steven Laverne Jorden of Reisterstown.

In the car, Trooper Long found a crowbar, a large ring, a color television, two videocassette recorders, an antique clock, two stolen credit cards and other property.

The two suspects were arrested and charged with break-ins at homes on Cape Horn Road and Beggs Road.

Jorden, who pleaded guilty in May to two counts of daytime burglary, was sentenced to four years in state prison. He has asked Judge Beck to modify his sentence.

A hearing date for the sentence modification has not been set.

Man, 35, charged after scuffle with police

A 35-year-old Manchester man, who allegedly solicited money from a pedestrian in a busy Westminster intersection and then battled an officer who tried to move him, was being held yesterday on $8,000 bond.

Randolph Scott Martin of the 3200 block of Main St. was charged with eight counts of assault and battery, resisting arrest and disturbing the peace after his arrest at 8:30 p.m. Monday at Main Street and Railroad Avenue.

According to court documents, the solicitation was noticed by sheriff's Deputy First Class Melvin Prise, who tried to move the man out of the road.

Deputy Prise said the man, who smelled of alcohol, became belligerent, loud and disorderly, and began to attract a crowd.

The deputy said Mr. Martin shoved him, then resisted the deputy's attempt to arrest and handcuff him. In the struggle, both men fell into the street and the officer was kicked in the ribs, reports indicate.

As the deputy, and backup officers who had been dispatched to the scene, tried to place Mr. Martin into a police car, he continued to kick, spit and attempted to bite one of the officers, court papers said.

County to distribute coupons for landfill

Carroll County will insert coupons in tax bills next summer that entitle residents to at least four free trips to county landfills, the commissioners agreed yesterday.

The county now allows residents to dump garbage free on two days this fall and two days next spring.

Some businesses have abused this system by telling employees with pickup trucks to make several trips to the landfills with commercial garbage, Comptroller Eugene C. Curfman said.

The new system also will eliminate long lines that form on free days, he said.

Residents pay $6 to $8 to dump pickup-truckloads of refuse at the Northern and Hoods Mill landfills.

Appellate court declines to hear evidence case

The Maryland Court of Appeals has declined to reconsider a Court of Special Appeals ruling that resuscitated a nearly dead marijuana-distribution case against Robert and Patricia Wantz, of the 1300 block of Pleasant Valley Road.

In letting the ruling stand, the state's highest court left intact a decision allowing prosecutors to use evidence found during a raid at the couple's home.

Carroll Assistant State's Attorney Barton F. Walker III said yesterday he intends to proceed with the case against the Wantzes, who were arrested last summer when the county narcotics task force raided their home and workshop.

Task force officers seized six full-grown marijuana plants; several grocery bags containing small plastic bags of dried marijuana, apparently ready for sale; indoor growth lights; and logs charting the plants' growth.

The case was temporarily derailed after Carroll Assistant Public Defender Samuel Truette got the raiders' search warrant thrown out of court by Carroll Circuit Judge Francis M. Arnold, who issued it.

Mr. Truette declined to comment on the case yesterday.

Employment campus zone recommended

Carroll's Planning and Zoning Commission yesterday recommended a compromise by the county commissioners on the employment campus zone issue.

The commission suggested that the concept could be adopted as a primary use in restricted industrial zones and as zones within themselves.

County planners had recommended adoption of employment campuses solely as zones, but the county Economic Development Commission wanted them strictly as a permitted use within restricted industrial zones.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.