Bowie State plays great on paper But S. Connecticut wins on points, 11-0

September 19, 1993|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

BOWIE -- Bowie State first-year coach Sherman Wood was eager to see the game summary after his football team's 11-0 loss yesterday to Southern Connecticut State University at Bulldog Stadium.

Wood was confident that the statistics would support his contention that, despite the loss, his team continues to improve on offense.

For the most part, Wood was right. The stats showed that the Bulldogs held an overwhelming edge in first downs (13-5), net yards passing (231-45) and total net yards (296-96). The stats, however, also revealed the root of the Bulldogs' third straight loss: 12 penalties for 105 yards.

"Any time they had a big play it seemed they had a penalty that would hurt them," Southern Connecticut coach Richard Cavanaugh said. "I've been there before, and it really kills you."

After sputtering on its opening possession, SoutherConnecticut pounded to the Bowie State 17-yard line, and Paul Boulanger kicked a 35-yard field goal to give the Owls a 3-0 lead with 6:24 left in the first quarter.

Bowie State's next three possessions ended in turnovers -- an interception and two fumbles, the last of which enabled Southern Connecticut to take over at Bowie's 4-yard line. Three plays later, sophomore fullback Scott Rowe plunged in from 1 yard to make it 9-0 with 12:35 left in the first half.

Bowie State moved to the Southern Connecticut 1-yard line, but freshman place-kicker William Chesnick shanked his 19-yard field-goal attempt.

Bowie's defensive unit got the ball back for the offense in the waning minutes of the first half, but the Bulldogs couldn't score.

Bowie quarterback Nate Jamison connected with junior wide receiver Thomas Destry on two consecutive passes that covered 45 yards and set up a first and goal at the Owls' 9-yard line with eight seconds left in the half. Instead of attempting a 26-yard field goal, the Bulldogs aired it out, and Jamison's pass sailed out of the end zone.

Bowie State opened the second half in the red after a late hit during the kickoff return, and the Bulldogs' ensuing drive was scarred by a penalty for having an ineligible man down field.

Bowie's first play of the fourth quarter resulted in a safety. Deley Jacks was smothered in the end zone by a swarm of Southern Connecticut players.

Trailing 11-0, the Bulldogs appeared to be back in it when Jamison passed to Marcus Nole for an apparent 41-yard touchdown, but the play was brought back because of holding.

"We're in a position where we're trying our best to score pointsand we just seem to have penalties at the most crucial times," Wood said. "We just can't have that."

Bowie's final two possessions ended in similarly unfavorable fashion as backup quarterback Darrell Foote was intercepted twice.

"I thought our defense and our kicking game really won it for us," Cavanaugh said. "Our kids hung in there tough defensively and made some plays that needed to be made, and we held on for the win."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.