Va. parolee accused of holding police at bay from mother's Baltimore home

September 19, 1993|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Staff Writer

A man paroled from a Virginia prison last week held Baltimore police at bay for more than five hours yesterday, holed up in his mother's Northwest Baltimore home armed with a high-powered rifle with a scope attached, police said.

Members of the Police Department's Quick Response Team broke down the front door and entered the home in the 3100 block of Garrison Blvd. about 6:15 p.m. and took the 22-year-old man into custody without firing a shot.

Agent Doug Price, a police spokesman, said the man, Tony Brown, will be returned to Virginia corrections officials tomorrow for a hearing on whether the incident was a parole violation.

The spokesman said parole conditions may have included not allowing the man to leave Virginia or be in possession of firearms. Agent Price said city police probably will not charge the man in connection with the standoff.

Police initially believed the man was holding his mother, Barbara Brown, 46, against her will, but they later learned she was free to come and go.

Throughout the ordeal, she was frequently seen in the doorway talking on a portable telephone.

The standoff began about 1 p.m. when police, called to the home for a complaint about a man with a gun, saw the man standing on the front porch holding the rifle. The man retreated into the home.

Hours of telephone talks began between the man and police negotiators, who worked out of a house near the Forest Park Branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library.

Agent Price said the man told police he was holding a large sum of money earmarked for a drug purchase and was scared someone might try and rob him.

Later, the man told authorities he was concerned that the incident would hurt his parole status in Virginia.

About 6 p.m., police said the telephone line went dead and the man punched out an upstairs bedroom window with his hand.

Authorities then entered the home, concerned that the man had hurt himself.

Agent Price said the man was sitting on his bed on the second floor of the rowhouse when police burst through the door. The rifle was in a corner.

Police also said they found two shotguns, a .38-caliber handgun and a .380 automatic handgun in the home.

The police spokesman said Mr. Brown had been in jail in Virginia serving time for drug charges.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.