(Page 2 of 2)

Winifred SullivanRetail executiveWinifred "Ginger...


September 18, 1993

Services are set for 5 p.m. tomorrow at the Christian Center on the Morgan campus, Hillen Road and Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore.

Mrs. Hill is survived by her daughter, Freddie Hill Lucas of Washington; her son, Talmadge L. Hill Jr. of Randallstown; and five grandchildren.

The family suggested that memorial contributions may be made to the Morgan State University Foundation.

Anne M. Selway

History teacher

Anne M. Selway, retired American history teacher at the Institute of Notre Dame, died Thursday of cancer at the Mercy Medical Center.

The 36-year-old Baltimore resident retired about two years ago because of her illness after teaching for about five years at the East Baltimore girls' high school.

She began her teaching career in 1979 at the Middle School of the Catholic Community School of South Baltimore and also taught at St. Pius X School in the Rodgers Forge area.

The Baltimore native was a 1974 graduate of the Catholic High School and a 1978 graduate of the University of Maryland Baltimore County who did graduate work at the Catholic University.

She traveled to Lourdes, France, last May as winner of a Knights of Malta essay contest.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 9 a.m. today at St. Anthony of Padua Roman Catholic Church, 4414 Frankford Ave., Baltimore.

She is survived by her mother, M. Patricia Selway of Baltimore; three brothers, William C. Selway of Parkville, Jerome W. Selway of Baltimore and Matthew K. Selway of Abingdon; and four sisters, Faye Byrd of Boulder, Colo., and Elaine Beigel, Maureen Colwell and Patricia Selway, all of Baltimore.

Henry A. Lohse

National Guardsman

Sgt. Maj. Henry A. Lohse, a member of the 20th Special Forces Group of the Maryland National Guard, died Aug. 10 of a stroke at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. He was 54.

The president of Angus Builders, a masonry company he founded in 1983, was stricken in late July in rural El Salvador where he had gone with the National Guard to build a school. After a brief hospital stay in San Salvador, he was flown to Texas, where he died.

Sergeant Lohse, a Sparks resident, was a native of Hamburg, Germany, who emigrated to Baltimore with his parents in 1952. He graduated from the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute in 1957, and attended the Johns Hopkins University briefly before joining the Army in 1960.

Sergeant Lohse's active and reserve duty military career spanned 31 years.

"The Army was his hobby," remembered his daughter, Claudia Lohse. "He looked forward to the weekends with the boys practicing maneuvers, parachuting and discussing military issues."

Services were private.

In addition to his daughter, he is survived by his wife, the former Isolde Christl of Augsburg, Germany, whom he married in 1965. Richard R. Van Kleeck, a vice president of Merrill Lynch & Co. who worked in Baltimore in its private client group, died Thursday of cancer at his home in the Poplar Hill section of Baltimore.

Mr. Van Kleeck, 68, worked at Merrill Lynch for 40 years.

The Kingston, N.Y., native served in the Army in Europe during World II and was a 1949 graduate of Rider College in New Jersey.

A Baltimore resident since the early 1950s, he was a member of the Center and L'Hirondelle clubs and a subscriber of the Bachelors Cotillon.

A memorial service will be conducted at 10:30 a.m. Monday in the Chapel of the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, 5603 N. Charles St., Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife of 38 years, the former Marion Penniman Barker; a son, Peter Reynolds Van Kleeck of Baltimore; and a daughter, Harriet Van Kleeck Toedter of Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y.

Charles W. Stallings

Western Electric retiree

Charles Wilbur "Bill" Stallings, 59, a retired Western Electric Co. employee, died of cancer June 3 at his home in Arbutus.

Born in Baltimore and reared in Howard County, Mr. Stallings served in the Army from 1954 to 1956. He worked in the cable department of the old Western Electric Point Breeze plant for more than 28 years before retiring in 1985.

The next year, he obtained a school bus maintenance job for the Baltimore County schools in Arbutus. He had been on sick leave for several months before his death.

A member of the Telephone Pioneers of America, he was an advocate for child and animal rights.

Services were conducted June 7.

Surviving are his wife, the former Patricia Kniese; and daughters Katherine Stallings and Laurie Stallings.

The family suggested that memorial donations may be made to the St. Agnes Hospice Fund, c/o St. Agnes Hospital.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.