3 teens held in death of dove hunter 2nd man wounded in P.G. incident

September 17, 1993|By Arthur Hirsch and Peter Hermann | Arthur Hirsch and Peter Hermann,Staff Writers

UPPER MARLBORO -- A day after his son was arrested and charged with murder, a dazed Fred Moore stood in a corridor of the Prince George's County Court House. He could make no sense of the charges that his son was in a field with two other teen-agers Tuesday evening when two hunters were gunned down for their shotguns.

"I cried more than I ever cried. Why, why?" said Mr. Moore, a retired Air Force technical sergeant who works for the District of Columbia government.

"I told my kids, 'If you see something happen, run the other way.' I say, 'You don't need to take anything; that's why I work.' "

The Fort Washington man held his chin in his left hand and leaned against a wall, stared at the polished stone floor and said yesterday that he and his wife had done the best they could raising their three children.

He said he works a full-time and two part-time jobs while his wife works for the federal government.

The last time he saw his oldest son, Andre Elvon Moore, the 17-year-old Friendly High School student was home in bed Tuesday night, apparently having abided by his 10 p.m. school-night curfew.

County police say that earlier that night, Andre Moore, Olando Ravi Bharat, 16, and Michael Adrian Williams, 17, confronted two men who were hunting doves with shotguns in a field by a wooded area near Friendly High School. Police say the youths wanted the shotguns.

The three defendants had talked with the hunters Monday night in the field about what kind of guns they had. The hunters said they would return Tuesday night. They did, as did the youths, who engaged the men in conversation.

According to the court papers, Mr. Bharat pulled out a handgun and shot Darren Lee Spears, 28, once in the head. Mr. Spears' lifelong friend, Philip Hincher, 27, dropped his shotgun and ran. The charges say that Mr. Williams picked up the shotgun and fired once, striking Mr. Hincher.

Mr. Hincher stumbled a quarter of a mile back to Mr. Spears' home and collapsed against the screen door.

Relatives called police but did not go out to the field for fear the gunmen were still there.

Mr. Spears, of Friendly, died of his wound Wednesday evening at Washington Hospital Center. Mr. Hincher, of Fort Washington, was reported in serious condition at the hospital last night with a punctured lung.

All three of the teen-agers are charged as adults with first-degree murder, and all are being held at the county Detention Center in Upper Marlboro.

Mr. Moore knew nothing about the shootings near Old Fort Road until his 19-year-old daughter called him at work Wednesday afternoon. She said her brother was arrested when he got off the school bus that day outside their home, in a residential block less than a mile from the scene of the shootings.

The teen-ager had never been in trouble before, Mr. Moore said. Andre Moore enjoyed sports but had begged off school athletics to concentrate on improving his grades. He was a good-natured youth, his father said, and "did what you asked him to do."

Efforts to reach the parents of the other two teen-agers were unsuccessful.

Lawyers representing the other two told Prince George's County District Judge Gerard F. Devlin at yesterday's bail hearings that neither of their clients had criminal or juvenile records.

Judge Devlin ordered Mr. Williams and Mr. Bharat held on $50,000 bail. Because Andre Moore had no lawyer yet, the judge ordered him held without bail.

The three youths appeared in court yesterday via video camera from the Detention Center. One by one, their shadowy figures stepped into the black-and-white picture on the monitor above the judge's bench, and they stared into space and listened to the judge tell them they were charged with first-degree murder.

Fred Moore watched his son on the screen, another face in the parade of accused felons. Later, he stared at the black-and-white polished floor outside the courtroom and shook his head.

"It don't sink in until it happens this close," he said. "Andre was just in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people."


Preston Robert Fuller was arrested by Baltimore police yesterday after a brief foot and car chase. Weeping, he was ordered held without bail yesterday on charges of gunning down his girlfriend Wednesday in the offices of PHH FleetAmerica in Hunt Valley. Page 3B

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.