Mt. Hebron finally wins home game Vikings shut out Hereford, 23-0

September 12, 1993|By Michael Richman | Michael Richman,Contributing Writer

It took a post-game meeting at midfield before Mount Hebron coach Mark Cates realized that his team had shelved an infamous footnote.

The Vikings had just defeated visiting Hereford, 23-0, when Cates remembered that a 10-game losing streak at home dating back to the 1991 season was history.

"I didn't even think about it until the whole game was over," Cates said, "and I was out there talking with them and suddenly it dawned on me that we had brought victory back to Mount Hebron. It's been a long time."

The Vikings (1-1) capitalized on scoring opportunities and never were seriously threatened. They gained 161 yards, 15 fewer than the Bulls (0-2), who committed five turnovers, two of which led directly to 14 Mount Hebron points.

The Vikings gained all but 8 yards on the ground, dividing the running between sophomore quarterback Brent Wilhoite and backs Kevin Woods, N'Jari Patters, Nick Canjea and Charles Kosh, whose 50-yard touchdown run created a 16-0 third-quarter margin.

Mount Hebron's main sore spot was four fumbles, albeit three came in the final period.

"Our defense was tough, we hit hard," said Mount Hebron sophomore linebacker Jeremy Desor, who ran 19 yards after a fumble recovery for the Vikings' final score. "We were in the right spot at the right time."

Prior to kickoff, Bulls coach Frank Ewing wanted his players to limit their mental errors. His desire was hardly satisfied.

On the game's second play, Mount Hebron linebacker Jimmy Sawyer recovered a fumble on Hereford's 22.

The Vikings were penalized 5 yards, but Kosh ran 26 yards on a reverse for a first down at the 1. Canjea scored on the next play and Brian Benicewicz converted for a 7-0 lead with the game two minutes old.

The Bulls did not pick up a first down until their 14th play from scrimmage. Even so, the seven-point margin held through the half because Mount Hebron fumbled deep in Hereford territory, and later Benicewicz's 35-yard field-goal attempt hit the crossbar.

Midway through the third period, Benicewicz converted a 32-yard field goal for a 10-0 lead. Six plays later, Kosh turned the left end and raced untouched for his 50-yard score with 4:54 left in the quarter.

"I just figured I would follow my blocks and [Woods] would make a great block for me," Kosh said. "From there, I saw an open field."

Ewing attributed Hereford's performance to "inexperience." The Bulls missed two senior starters, tackle Donald Pole and back David Hundertmark.

"They came to play, they came to win," Ewing said of Mount Hebron. "They know they can beat us and so they beat us. They capitalized on our mistakes.

"Last week, we had to make some changes and it's difficult with inexperienced players to make changes. We'll stick with what we have and improve through repetition."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.