Chesapeake crushes Franklin

September 12, 1993|By Kevin Eck | Kevin Eck,Contributing Writer

Coaches are usually cautious about getting too excited after a convincing victory, especially this early in the season.

But there wasn't much for Chesapeake coach Rick Zentz not to like in his team's 33-6 rout of visiting Franklin (0-2) in a Baltimore County non-league game yesterday.

"I have to give Franklin credit for hanging in there because we were an irresistible force in there," said Zentz, in his first season .. at Chesapeake. "We've got a lot of good people, but we want to get technically better instead of just being bullish better."

Yesterday, the Bayhawks were just better.

Chesapeake (2-0) -- which has outscored its opponents 63-18 -- successfully moved the ball behind a balanced running attack and some timely passing by quarterback Jermaine Johnson, who completed three passes for 51 yards and a touchdown.

Michael Knox (seven carries for 66 yards), James Kelley (six carries for 66) and his brother Stephen Kelley (12 carries for 59 yards) each rushed for a touchdown.

It was the defense that staked the Bayhawks to an early lead, however.

On the game's fourth play, Chesapeake's Roy Jenkins intercepted Chris Demetrakis' pass and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown.

Later in the quarter, Jason Johnson -- Jermaine's brother -- intercepted Demetrakis at Franklin's 45 to set up Chesapeake's next score.

After three straight incompletions, Chesapeake set up to punt, but Jermaine Johnson faked the punt and completed a 13-yard pass to Knox.

Four players later, Jermaine Johnson threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to Lamar King to give the Bayhawks a 14-0 lead.

Jermaine Johnson also made his presence felt on defense. He ended the Indians' most promising drive of the first half when he intercepted Demetrakis' pass in the end zone on third-and-goal from the 11-yard line.

Chesapeake then drove 80 yards on five plays, capped by James Kelley's 21-yard touchdown run with 7:00 remaining to lead 20-0.

Although they had no points to show for their effort, the Indians did have some success on offense in the first half. Franklin, using quick snaps to its fullbacks, gained six first downs in its first four possessions.

"We were trying to keep our linebackers free and that wasn't working, so we made some changes," said Zentz, who coached at Dundalk from 1987 to '91.

Meanwhile, the Bayhawks offense continued to roll, scoring before halftime and after an unsuccessful Indians onside kick after the intermission to take a 33-0 lead on Stephen Kelley's 3-yard run.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.