Wright rushes past Aberdeen, 28-6 Tharpe's 97 yards leads ground attack

C. M.

September 11, 1993|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,Staff Writer

C. Milton Wright scored on its first possession and went on to grind out a 28-6 Harford County League victory over visiting Aberdeen last night.

The Mustangs (2-0) got crunching ground support from their top three rushers, seniors Jason Tharpe (97 yards) and Eric McEvoy (62 yards) and junior Rich Juergenson (68 yards), the biggest of the three at 5 feet 11 and 200 pounds.

Nevertheless, it was a pass into the right flat from quarterback Mike Schmidt (5-9, 153) to McEvoy that got the Mustangs rolling in the first quarter against Aberdeen (1-1).

Schmidt faked Charles Cromwell and raced into the end zone to complete an 11-yard play and cap a nine-play, 68-yard drive.

It proved to be McEvoy's best shot; he later went out with a broken collarbone.

Tharpe, who had all four touchdowns in a win over Bowie last week, put the home team up 14-0 with 4:50 seconds left in the third quarter, bulling his way behind a solid line on three successive carries for a total of 10 yards.

Senior tackle Mike Sprouse (6-5, 267) anchored the line both ways, and the Mustangs also got strong support from Jim Heatterich and Dan Angelini.

Juergenson got the other two touchdowns on 1- and 2-yard runs. Senior Chris Streett kicked all four extra points.

The home team effectively shut down Aberdeen for three quarters, breaking down only once when Mike Cromwell returned a punt 70 yards, only to have it brought back to the C.M. Wright 25 on a holding penalty.

The Eagles got their only score with three minutes left on a 29-yard run by Adric Turner.

Cromwell and Turner carried most of the running load, particularly after senior Nick Johnson (two touchdowns last week) went to the sidelines with a mild concussion.

C. M. Wright was already banged up, as two-way lineman Don Behler played with a broken finger, and regulars Will Hanks and Gavin Snyder are out with injuries.

Held to a 7-0 halftime lead, Wright came out and scored on its next two possessions.

The first one was a nine-play drive for 72 yards, highlighted by three runs for first downs. Tharpe went 17 yards to midfield, McEvoy went for 16 and Schmidt, on a keeper to the outside, went for 14 more. A personal foul call against Aberdeen put the ball on the 10, and Tharpe took charge from there.

The second drive went 44 yards in nine plays and carried into the fourth quarter. The big play, in more ways than one, saw McEvoy run through a hole on the right side, and leap over a defender, falling on his shoulder at the 3-yard line. Juergenson needed two shots to get into the end zone.

The Mustangs' second fumble recovery of the night gave them the ball at the Aberdeen 25 with nine minutes left. An 11-yard pass play (Schmidt was 3-for-6) and four straight Juergenson carries picked up their final touchdown.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.