Before returning to Baltimore nearly three years ago, he owned consulting businesses in New York City.
Recently, he had written and lectured on the history of the Jeffersonian era and also was a contributor to the weekly Civil War page of the Washington Times.
A memorial service was set for 11 a.m. today at Old St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Charles at Saratoga streets, Baltimore.
His survivors include daughter Phanela Mayall and son Myles Mayall, both of London.
C. Gordon Reese Jr., 66, an optician and 33-year resident of Ellicott City, died Aug. 30 of Lou Gehrig's disease at his home.
In the late 1940s, Mr. Reese's father established Mount Vernon Opticians at 701 Cathedral St. After his father's death in 1977, Mr. Reese ran the Cathedral Street practice with his mother for five years under the name Reese and Reese.
He sold the family business in 1982 to Professional Vision Associates, where he continued to work.
Born and reared in Baltimore, Mr. Reese was a 1947 graduate of Baltimore Polytechnic Institute. He entered the Navy in 1944, serving as an electrician's mate aboard the USS Tripoli in the South Pacific.
Mr. Reese and the former Florence Gilson were married in 1946. Mrs. Reese died in 1991. The Reeses lived in Catonsville from 1948 until 1960, when they moved to Ellicott City.
Services were Sept. 2 at St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Parkville.
He is survived by his mother, H. Marie Reese of Cockeysville; a daughter, Jonette V. Reese-Brotman of Reisterstown; a son, Michael G. Reese of Ellicott City; five grandchildren; and several great-grandchildren.
The family suggested donations may be made to the American Lung Association or the ALS-Muscular Dystrophy Foundation, 30 Padonia Road, Timonium, Md. 21093.
Gas station operator
P. Joseph Meadowcroft Sr., who operated a gas station in northern Baltimore County and was active for many years in the Boy Scouts, died of cancer Thursday at his home on Middletown Road in Freeland. He was 59.
He owned and operated Meadowcroft Motors, a Getty station, which he opened in 1962 after working for the Pennsylvania Railroad as a brakeman in the Enola, Pa., yards.
He and his wife, the former Patricia Ann Bosley, also were the proprietors of Meadowcroft Liquors, which they opened in Freeland in 1976.
In 1979, he began his work with the Boy Scouts as assistanscoutmaster of Parkton Troop 523. He was scoutmaster for 13 years, in which 12 of his Scouts, including three sons, achieved the top rank of Eagle.
In 1986, he was elected to Scouting's Order of the Arrow, and he completed brotherhood requirements in 1987. The Parkton American Legion honored him in 1987 for "Outstanding Service to Youth."
He was also active in the Baltimore County Licensed Beverage Association; Greater Washington, D.C., and Maryland Service Station and Automobile Repair Association; VFW Post 7012, New Freedom, Pa.; and American Legion Post 256, Parkton.
Mr. Meadowcroft was born in Dauphin County, Pa., and was educated in public schools there. He served in the Army from 1953 to 1955 and then served with the Maryland National Guard until 1962.
Viewings will be from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. today and from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. tomorrow at the J. J. Hartenstein Mortuary, 24 Second St., Freeland.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11:30 a.m. Monday at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church, 18310 Middletown Road, Parkton.
Burial will be in Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens.
Besides his wife of 27 years, he is survived by four sons, Jon C. Meadowcroft, P. Joseph Meadowcroft Jr., William F. Meadowcroft and Donald Meadowcroft, all of Freeland; a daughter, Bobbi Lynn Lusby of Freeland; four brothers, Robert Meadowcroft of Freeland, David Meadowcroft and Patrick Meadowcroft, both of Parkton, and Peter Meadowcroft of Manchester; six sisters, Rita Rayner of Bel Air, Mary Ellen McDavid of Nashville, Tenn., Marie Bull of Parkton, Sister Anne Marie of New Oxford, Pa., Jo Ann Reider of Freeland and Sheila Meadowcroft of Parkton; and four grandsons.
The family suggested memorial contributions to Our Lady of Grace Roman Catholic Church or ASC Memorial Fund, 3950 Columbia Ave., Columbia, Pa. 17512-9714.