Gorman out as Davis Cup captain

September 10, 1993|By Don Markus | Don Markus,Staff Writer

NEW YORK -- In a move that has been rumored since the United States lost to Australia in the first round of the Davis Cup in March, U.S. captain Tom Gorman announced yesterday that he will be relinquishing his duties after the team plays the Bahamas in a consolation round later this month.

While U.S. Tennis Association president J. Howard "Bumpy" Frazer said a successor has not been named, he did say that John McEnroe will likely be a candidate for the job Gorman has held for the past seven years. Frazier said that Gorman's decision to step down caught him off-guard.

"I tell you, I was honestly surprised by his decision," said Frazer.

Gorman, 47, coached the U.S. team to an American-record 17 victories, including championships over Australia in 1990 and Switzerland in 1992. But the loss earlier this year to Australia, during which several of the top U.S. players were noticeably absent, led to McEnroe openly campaigning for the job.

Asked if he was resigning under pressure, Gorman said, "As far as pressure, the only time I felt pressure for my job was the match in Austria [1990 semifinals]. I could say if we lost there, I would have been replaced. This is clearly my decision."

McEnroe, who at 34 is in semi-retirement from the men's tour, has been one of the most successful Davis Cup players in history. He is at the U.S. Open doing TV analysis for the USA Network.

"I think I've made it clear that I would like to be the Davis Cup captain," McEnroe said during last night's telecast. "I think there's a lot of other people that want to be Davis Cup captain. They've talked about Stan Smith, the Gulliksons, Brad Gilbert's mentioned that he wants to be Davis Cup captain. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

Said Frazer: "John McEnroe has been the greatest contributor to Davis Cup in modern times. He is an inspirational guy. And certainly he is a candidate for captain."

Junior upset

In a second-round match in the Open junior boys championship, unseeded Paul Goldstein of Rockville upset the No. 1 seed and reigning Wimbledon juniors champion, Razvan )) Sabau of Romania, 4-6, 7-5, 6-2. Goldstein, the USTA's national boys 18s champion, didn't get far with his automatic wild card into the men's draw -- he lost in straight sets in the first round to Germany's Karsten Braasch.

Mixed championship

In yesterday's mixed doubles championship, the top-seeded team of Todd Woodbridge and Helena Sukova defeated second seeds Mark Woodforde and Martina Navratilova, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6).

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.