Man sentenced to 15-year term for Jessup stabbing

September 09, 1993|By Alan J. Craver | Alan J. Craver,Staff Writer

A man who stabbed the owner of a Jessup liquor store during a robbery last winter was sentenced yesterday to 15 years in prison.

Montague Paul Miller, 27, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to assault with intent to murder before Judge James Dudley in Howard Circuit Court for the Feb. 15 incident.

Miller was accused of stabbing Seon Ok Song, 70, of Ellicott City once in the lower torso as they struggled over a kitchen knife that Miller used to confront the businessman as he left his shop, U.S. 1 Liquors.

A co-defendant, Kenneth Brian Daff, 23, of Severn, is to stand trial in Circuit Court on Nov. 8.

Comparing the crime with the Pam Basu carjacking murder, Judge Dudley said a message must be sent that these kinds of incidents will not be tolerated.

"Even if they recover from the injury, they will never recover from that episode," he said. "To tell you the truth, I'm not sure 15 years is enough."

As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors dropped charges of armed robbery, robbery, kidnapping, assault, battery and unauthorized use of a vehicle.

Assistant State's Attorney Joseph Murtha said Miller and Mr. Daff confronted Mr. Song as he was leaving his store on Washington Boulevard with a money bag containing $800.

The men demanded that Mr. Song hand over his money, and Mr. Song gave them $80 from his wallet, Mr. Murtha said.

During a struggle, Miller stabbed Mr. Song in the lower torso, narrowly missing the man's kidneys, Mr. Murtha said.

The struggle continued inside Mr. Song's Plymouth Voyager minivan, where Miller attempted to slash the man's neck with the dull side of the knife's blade, Mr. Murtha said.

Mr. Song fell from the van outside the nearby Cedar Motel, and the two men drove away with his vehicle, Mr. Murtha said.

Mr. Song was treated and released from the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. Miller and Mr. Daff were arrested four days later at Fort Meade while military police were conducting random checks of vehicles entering the installation, Mr. Murtha said.

The prosecutor asked Judge Dudley to sentence Miller to 15 years in prison for assault with intent to murder, a charge that carries a maximum sentence of 30 years in jail.

Miller, who blamed alcohol for the crime, apologized to Mr. Song for his actions.

The defendant said he was willing to serve his sentence, with the hope of bettering himself when he is released.

SG "I am very deeply sorry I got myself into this situation," he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.