Margaret KneisleyHospital supervisorMargaret Kneisley, 88...


September 09, 1993

Margaret Kneisley

Hospital supervisor

Margaret Kneisley, 88, who was the operating room supervisor at Union Memorial Hospital for 25 years, died of heart failure Aug. 25 at Howard County Memorial Hospital.

Except for two years in a supervisory job at a Florida hospital, Miss Kneisley worked at Union Memorial from her 1930 #i graduation from its School of Nursing until her retirement in 1967.

Born in Woodstock, Va., she was a 1926 graduate of the Harrisonburg State Normal School, now James Madison University. Her father wanted her to be a teacher, but she preferred nursing and moved to Baltimore to study.

Miss Kneisley moved in 1937 to Jacksonville, Fla., to become supervisor of nurses at Jackson Memorial Hospital for two years.

"I broke my leg and was taken to the hospital in Jacksonville, and there was Maggie," recalled Dr. William H. M. Finney. "I had known her since I was a child, when my father and grandfather brought her out to our home for dinner."

Dr. Finney's father, Dr. John M. T. Finney Jr., was chief of surgery at Union Memorial, and his grandfather, Dr. J. M. T. Finney, was an internationally known surgeon who was instrumental in the founding of Union Memorial.

"She was known to her many admirers as Maggie," said Dr. Finney, "and was perhaps the only person to ever run an operating room schedule on time. She would begin clearing her throat and saying, 'Dr. So and So is due here in five minutes,' and you knew you had to finish up."

To honor her memory, Dr. Finney contacted 20 doctors whom she called her "boys" and in two weeks raised $1,927 for a memorial brick that benefits the nursing school. The brick, engraved with Miss Kneisley's name, will be installed on a wall of the school in the Johnston Professional Building.

After her retirement, Miss Kneisley lived in Baltimore and eventually moved to Vantage House in Columbia, a retirement community at 5400 Vantage Point Road, where services were planned for 11 a.m. today.

She is survived by a nephew, the Rev. William Stickley of Harrisburg, Pa., and a niece, Jane Stickley of Hyattsville.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Union Memorial Hospital School of Nursing, 201 E. University Parkway, Baltimore 21218, or to First English Lutheran Church, 3807 N. Charles St., Baltimore 21218.

John H. Taylor

Truck driver

John H. Taylor, a retired truck driver, died Saturday at the University of Maryland Medical Center after a stroke.

The 66-year-old Baltimore resident retired in 1984 after working for many years for the Smith & Solomon Trucking Co. The Rumford, Va., native was educated there and worked as a mechanic in West Point, Va., before serving in the Navy during World War II.

Services were to be conducted at 7 p.m. today at the Joseph H. Brown Jr. Funeral Home, 1913 W. Baltimore St., Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife, the former Joyce Chandler; two daughters, Kara and Kim Taylor; a son, Kevin Taylor; his father and stepmother, Hugh and Evelyn Taylor; and a grandson. All are of Baltimore.

John A. Nocar Jr.


John A. Nocar Jr., a retired machinist for the Du Pont Co., died Tuesday of cancer at his home in Glen Burnie.

The 85-year-old Baltimore native retired in 1960 after many years at the Curtis Bay plant.

He was a member of a senior citizens group at Holy TrinitRoman Catholic Church.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 9 a.m. Saturday at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church, 7436 Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd., Glen Burnie.

His wife, the former Anna A. Daniels, died in 1980.

His survivors include two daughters, Doris A. Wright and Loretta Riech of Glen Burnie; a sister, Mildred Lunskis of Baltimore; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.