Mary A. MatthewsFormer nurse, 104Mary A. Matthews, 104, a...


September 03, 1993

Mary A. Matthews

Former nurse, 104

Mary A. Matthews, 104, a former private duty nurse and homemaker, died Monday at her son's home in Fallston of arteriosclerosis.

The former Mary A. Chilcote was a member of the Chilcote family that emigrated to Anne Arundel County from England in the 1630s and once owned the property that eventually became known as Fells Point. She grew up in the Waverly section of Baltimore, the daughter of a barber who also worked in the cotton duck mills of Woodberry in the Jones Falls Valley.

She was born during the administration of President Benjamin Harrison when Waverly was country rather than city, and she attended public schools through the eighth grade.

"She was always hiding her books under the porch and skipping school," said Rudi Bethke, a great-grandson.

Her memories of gaslight-era Baltimore included cobblestone streets, lamplighters, excursions steamers to Tolchester, swaying trolleys to Bayshore Park, carriages and dray wagons in the streets and the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904.

"During the fire," recalled Mr. Bethke, "she brought food to those who were stranded on the streetcars which stopped running near her home at Greenmount Avenue and 32nd Street.

"She was fond of saying that she saw the city built before the Great Fire, rebuilt after the fire and then again in the 1970s during the administration of Mayor [William Donald] Schaefer."

It was aboard the streetcars of the No. 8 line that she fell in love with her future husband who was a motorman for United Railways.

"She told her sister to get off the streetcar, that she was going to ride to the end of the line because she wanted to meet the motorman," recalled Mr. Bethke. "When the car got to the end of the line, she told him that she didn't have any money so he took her back to her home in Waverly for free. She often let other cars go by just to ride his."

She married John P. Matthews several days before her 16th birthday in 1904. In 1905, the couple moved into a house on Montford Avenue from which she moved in 1965 to Claremont Avenue in Northeast Baltimore.

Mr. Matthews later joined the Baltimore Fire Department and in 1916 became a lineman for the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. He died in 1939.

After her husband's death, she became a private duty nurse and retired in 1961.

She enjoyed embroidery and making beaded necklaces and was active in the Parkville posts of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion.

Services were to be held at noon today at Schimunek Funeral Home, 3331 Brehms Lane.

In addition to her great-grandson and son, John P. Matthews Jr. of Fallston, Mrs. Matthews is survived by a daughter, Edith L. German of Baltimore; seven grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and five great-great-grandchildren.

The family suggested that memorial contributions might be made to the Heart Fund. Frederick H. Jackson, a Salvation Army officer for more than 45 years, was found dead of undetermined causes Wednesday at his home in the organization's retirement community in Asbury Park, N.J. He was 87.

Mr. Jackson, who was born in Tow Low, in the north of England, came to the United States with his family in 1921 and lived in Baltimore for two years before attending the Salvation Army's officer training school in New York.

He became an officer in 1924 and in his first years had assignments directing local operations in Annapolis, Baltimore, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. After his transfer to New England in 1930, he became involved in auditing work and had a variety of assignments. For the last decade before his 1970 retirement with the rank of brigadier, he worked at the organization's national headquarters in New York.

He was married in 1927 to the former Olive Bridge, who died in 1974. He was married the following year to the former Frances W. Roberts of Baltimore, who died in 1985.

Surviving are a son, Frederick H. Jackson II of Newburgh, N.Y.; two sisters, Elizabeth Bott and Lillian Martin, both of Baltimore; four grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Services are to be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Salvation Army Citadel Corps in Asbury Park.

Leonidas P. Frazier

Active in church

Leonidas P. Frazier, a retired Social Security Administration insurance compliance officer, died Saturday of cancer at his home in the Charles Towers Apartments in Baltimore. He was 73.

He was a longtime parishioner of Old St. Paul's Episcopal Church in downtown Baltimore and became the first black vestryman of the church, which was founded in 1692. He was appointed in 1985 to fill an unexpired term and was elected to a full four-year term in 1986.

During the church's tricentennial celebration, he served in the ceremonial position of verger, leading processions.

"There was no one more beloved in the church," recalled Mrs. William Marbury, a member of the congregation. "He was a remarkable man, who had great loyalty to the parish and never missed a service unless he was out of town."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.