Dixon Miles MarrianGilman teacher, coachDixon Miles...


September 01, 1993

Dixon Miles Marrian

Gilman teacher, coach

Dixon Miles Marrian, a retired teacher and coach, died of a stroke last Thursday at the Fairhaven retirement village in Sykesville. He was 90.

The Baltimore native began his career in 1927 at the Gilman School, teaching mathematics and coaching athletics, mostly baseball.

"He was a very good baseball coach and, because he was a math teacher, he made sure very detail was taken care of," recalled Charles Gamper, retired dean of students at the school. "However, the students thought he was the roughest teacher they ever had and after they graduated, they realized that they had had one of the best."

"He went over the little things again and again with his ball teams," remembered George Chandlee, a fellow math teacher. "He didn't think much of lacrosse and thought that baseball was a much better game."

Mr. Marrian played semi-professional baseball as a young man.

He was reared in Forest Park and received his early education in Baltimore public schools.

Mr. Marrian was a 1921 graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and held degrees from the Johns Hopkins University, Columbia University and the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.

He left Gilman in 1942 to serve in the Army and was stationed at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., where he taught math. At the end of World War II, he left the service with the rank of lieutenant colonel.

He returned to Gilman in 1948 and left in 1961 to work at the Balmar Corp. in Baltimore. He later worked as a mathematician at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory.

He was a member of the Baltimore YMCA, the Baltimore Athletic Club and the Pi Kappa Chi Fraternity.

During retirement at Fairhaven, he gardened and gave away the vegetables he grew to the needy, according to a nephew, William F. Hunter Jr. of Towson.

In addition to his nephew, he is also survived by a sister, Elizabeth Marrian Hunter of Fairhaven.

2& A private service was held Monday.

George W. Burton

Building contractor

George W. Burton, a building contractor for more than three decades, died Saturday of leukemia at Stella Maris Hospice. He was 68.

Mr. Burton operated the Burton Building Co., which built homes and commercial buildings. He retired in 1987 because of lung cancer.

Born in Baltimore and reared in Baltimore County, he was educated in the county's public school system and left school early to join the Army Air Forces Cadet Program in 1943.

After several months of college-level courses and basic military training, he was commissioned a second lieutenant and graduated as a bomber pilot. He saw World War II service in India and China.

He was separated from the Army Air Forces as a first lieutenant in 1946 and joined the Air Force Reserve, from which he retired May 1, 1985, as a lieutenant colonel.

For 22 years, he lived in Hydes, where he enjoyed vegetable gardening. His wife of 47 years, the former Edith L. Sause, said he often shared his garden's bounty with neighbors.

His brother, the Rev. Albert C. Burton of Bear, Del., is to officiate at services at 8 p.m. tomorrow at E.F. Lassahn Funeral Home, 11750 Belair Road, Kingsville.

In addition to his wife and brother, Mr. Burton is survived by a daughter, Leslie A. Jean of Las Vegas; a sister, Helen Pearce of Jarrettsville; a brother, William H. Burton of Forest Hill; and two grandchildren.

James L. Lindsay

SSA employee

James L. Lindsay, a retired Social Security Administration employee, died Saturday of a heart attack at his West Baltimore home. He was 80.

Known as Jim, he retired in 1990 from the agency where he had been a mail machine operator since 1946.

He was born in Faulkner County, Ark., and came to Baltimore after serving in the Army in World War II. He was a member of an artillery unit during the landing on the island of Okinawa in the Pacific Theater in 1945.

"He only had an eighth-grade education [but] he was an avid newspaper reader," recalled his nephew, Ronald Brownley of Pikesville. "Every day he read the New York Times, Washington Post, The Sun and the Afro-American, trying to bridge the gap in the lack of his formal education."

Mr. Lindsay also enjoyed horse racing.

Services are to be held at noon tomorrow at the Joseph L. Russ Funeral Home, 2222 W. North Ave.

In addition to his nephew, he is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Muriel Carter of Baltimore; and two great-nieces.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.