Union Bridge mayor joins in capture of streaker Man also suspected in property damage NORTHWEST * Taneytown * Union Bridge * New Windsor * Uniontown

August 25, 1993|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Staff Writer

When Union Bridge residents, including Mayor Perry L. Jones, grappled with and eventually captured the naked man they saw running along Main Street, they suspected he might be the person who had just broken the bay window of the mayor's service station, damaged a customer's car and battered the front fender of the mayor's tow truck.

State police who arrived Sunday night to take the nude runner into custody agreed that was a good possibility, but first they sent the man to Carroll County General Hospital to have the cuts on his hands and feet treated.

The 25-year-old Taneytown area man has been released from the hospital, and police said they expect to charge him.

Mayor Jones credited members of the Union Bridge Neighborhood Crime Watch for possibly stopping the assailant from committing additional damage or harm to himself.

The mayor said yesterday, "I want to commend the citizens of the community for calling the police and me immediately, or we may never have caught the man."

Police who responded to the scene about 9 p.m. Sunday were called minutes later to an accident on Trevanion Road that killed two young men, and they delayed action on the Union Bridge incident.

Tfc. Ronald W. Cullison Jr. said a small amount of marijuana and a smoking pipe were found in the streaker's clothing, which was discovered on the ground about 100 yards from where he was apprehended. The man's car was parked at the closed service station with the hood up.

Mr. Jones said the car had a broken fan belt.

Investigators were unable to determine the reason for the vandalism to the gas station or the damage to the vehicles.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.