25,268 see AC Milan win Italian Super Cup

August 22, 1993|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Staff Writer

WASHINGTON -- With the addition of several new players for yesterday's Italian Soccer Super Cup, AC Milan coach Fabio Capello said he thought his team was going through a period of transition.

If that's true, transition never looked so good, even if the score didn't show it.

Forward Marco Simone scored early in the first half, and his defense allowed two shots on goal, as Italian League champion AC Milan defeated Italian Cup winner Torino, 1-0, before 25,268 at RFK Stadium.

This was the first time in the six-year history of the Super Cup that the game was played outside Italy. The match was shown either live or on tape in 35 countries.

Paolo Taveggia, the president of International Sports Consultants, which promoted this event, said the crowd at RFK Stadium was "the maximum we could do for this game."

"This was the first real step. Now, the other promoters will have to do their part to promote soccer in this country," he said.

AC Milan has lost twice in two seasons while claiming the past two league titles. It has won two consecutive Super Cups, and three overall.

Torino was a surprise winner of the Italian Cup after placing eighth in the league standings.

While the final score suggests a close game, AC Milan dominated play most of the afternoon and finished with an 18-8 advantage in shots.

"We created a lot of scoring chances, and we should have capitalized on more," AC Milan's Daniele Massaro said through an interpreter. "But overall, we are pleased with the result."

It took just four minutes for AC Milan to establish control. Franco Baresi played the ball into the box and fed Dejan Savicevic, whose header bounded to Simone. With Torino goalkeeper Giovanni Galli charging the ball, Simone lined a shot into an open net to score.

Torino's Marco Osio nearly tied the score less than a minute later, but his unobstructed shot from close range sailed over the net.

His team would manage just one more shot in the first half, and AC Milan goalkeeper Sebastiano Rossi didn't need to make a save.

Early in the second half, Florin Valeriu Raducioiu of AC Milan sped down the left sideline and directed a crossing pass to Savicevic, who had broken ahead of the Torino defense. His shot was deflected off the right post by Galli, and, when trailer Stafano Eranio got a foot on the loose ball, Galli made another lunging save.

RF Torino had two chances to pull even in the final 17 minutes, but a

direct kick from 28 yards by Carlos Aguilera struck the crossbar, and Rossi made the last of his two saves on a shot from Andrea Silenzi.

Capello thought the heat wore down both teams in the second half.

"This is the first time we've played at 2:30," he said, "and in the second half, both teams weren't as precise as they should have been."

Soccer returns to RFK Stadium on Oct. 13, when the U.S. National Team plays Mexico.

"We appreciated the public," Capello said. "The atmosphere was good."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.