From Ellis Island to the Pennsylvania home of Pearl S. Buck and the art galleries of Washington, D.C., the Carroll County Arts Council wants people to see things and places it can't bring to them.
From September through June 1994, the Arts Council has planned a series of monthly trips for its "Expeditions in the Arts" program.
"This is our way of taking people to the arts," said Hilary Pierce, Arts Council director. "We have 10 trips planned, and last year we got the idea for planning some of the trips around a holiday from a group of women that called and wanted to take their mothers on the May trip for Mother's Day.
"The trips are scheduled so that you can give them as gifts, too," she said.
Various activities are planned to appeal to a wide range of interests, from history, art and the theater to shopping and concerts.
All the trips are open to the public, but Arts Council members get a discount on tickets, most of which cost from $50 to $70. The ticket price for many trips includes all costs, except for an occasional meal, Ms. Pierce said.
Each trip has a reservation deadline, and if enough people don't sign up by that date, the trip will be canceled.
Visa and MasterCard are accepted for trips over $50, but must be paid in person at the Arts Council office, 15 E. Main St., Westminster.
Anyone with a physical disability requiring special assistance must contact the Arts Council 60 days before the trip.
All trips depart from behind Martin's Food Store in the Route 140 Village Shopping Center, Westminster. The 1993-1994 trips are:
* Ellis Island and Soho Galleries, New York City: The bus leaves at 7 a.m. and returns at 11 p.m. Sept. 11. The trip includes a visit to the Ellis Island museum, ferry ride to Battery Park and a visit to Soho shops and galleries. The cost is $50 for members; $55 for nonmembers. Reservation deadline is Aug. 27.
* The home of Pearl Buck and Peddler's Village, Buck's County, Pa.: The bus leaves at 7 a.m. and returns at 7 p.m. Oct. 9. The itinerary includes Stone Farm House, where Pearl Buck wrote some of her novels, and visits to the artists and craftsmen of Peddler's Village for shopping and lunch. The cost is $50 for members; $55 for nonmembers. Reservation deadline is Sept. 8.
* The Audubon Exhibition and National Gallery of Art, Washington: The bus leaves at 8:30 a.m. and returns at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 6. The trip includes a visit to an exhibit of John James Audubon's watercolors and lunch in the museum cafe. The cost is $15 for members; $20 for nonmembers. Reservation deadline is Oct. 15.
* Yuletide Festivities at Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, Pa.: The bus leaves at 1 p.m. and returns at 10 p.m. Dec. 11. After seeing the poinsettias and holiday lights, participants will have dinner and attend a seasonal concert on the estate that belonged to Pierre S. du Pont. The cost is $50 for members; $55 for nonmembers. Reservation deadline is Nov. 20.
* A reception and the Phillips Collection, Washington: The bus leaves at 8:30 a.m. and returns at 5:30 p.m. Jan. 12. The trip includes a visit to the State House Diplomatic Reception rooms, Union Station and the Phillips Collection of American and European paintings. The cost is $20 for members; $25 for nonmembers. The deadline for reservations is Dec. 10.
* "Hoagy and Bix" and dinner at Haussner's, Baltimore: The bus leaves at 12:30 p.m. and returns at 7 p.m. Feb. 26. The story of the jazz team of Hoagy Carmichael and Bix Beiderbecke at the Morris Mechanic Theatre is followed by dinner at Haussner's. The cost is $65 for members; $70 for nonmembers. Reservation deadline is Jan. 14.
* National Museum of Women in the Arts and Tudor Place, Washington: The bus leaves at 8:30 a.m. and returns at 5:30 p.m. March 19. For National Women's Month, the trip includes a visit to the home of Martha Washington's granddaughter, Martha Curtis Peter, and a guided tour of the women's museum. The cost is $25 for members; $30 for nonmembers. Reservation deadline is Feb. 25.
* Easter Extravaganza at Radio City Music Hall, New York City: The bus leaves at 7 a.m. and returns at 10:30 p.m. April 9. The Rockettes' 90-minute show will be followed by shopping and lunch. The cost is $65 for members; $70 for nonmembers. Reservation deadline is Jan. 12.
* Philadelphia Museum of Art and Rodin Museum of Art: The bus leaves at 8 a.m. and returns at 6:30 p.m. May 14. A private tour of the Philadelphia Museum's works by Rubens is followed by lunch and visit to the Rodin Museum. The cost is $30 for members; $35 for nonmembers. The reservation deadline is April 27.
* Manhattan Excursion, New York City: The bus leaves at 7 a.m. and returns at 10 p.m. June 11. Participants can make their own plans for this New York visit. The cost is $35 for members; $40 for nonmembers. The reservation deadline is May 13.
Brochures on the "Expeditions in the Arts" are available from the Arts Council, public library and senior centers.