Sex-abuse suspect arrested Alleged victims now put at 10

August 19, 1993|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Staff Writer

A Carroll County man already indicted on 34 counts of child sexual abuse was arrested yesterday on 11 new charges involving two other children, authorities said.

The man is now charged with sexually abusing 10 children -- two of them his own -- and the list could grow longer, said Ruth Ann Arty, an investigator with the Child Abuse and Sexual Assault Unit of the state's attorney's office.

The man, accompanied by his mother, surrendered to state police at 4:30 p.m. yesterday. A District Court commissioner ordered him held at the Carroll County Detention Center on $100,000 full bond pending a bail review hearing today. He had been free on $60,000 bond since Aug. 2, when his parents pledged their house as security.

Several of the alleged victims' parents, who have been critical of Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. for setting a bond that the man could post, circulated a petition to the court demanding revocation of the man's earlier bail. In less than a week, they collected more than 200 signatures.

State police Cpl. Wayne Moffat -- who served the man with the arrest warrant -- presented the petition to the District Court commissioner yesterday.

The warrant served yesterday charged the unemployed construction worker with two counts of second-degree sexual offense, three counts each of third- and fourth-degree sexual offense, two counts of battery and one count of perverted practice. The charges carry a maximum penalty of 83 years in state prison.

He faces a possible sentence of 460 years in prison if convicted on the 34 charges lodged against him by the grand jury.

The name and address of the man, as well as the names of the alleged victims, are being withheld to protect the children's identities.

Ms. Arty has said that authorities consider the man to be one of the worst pedophiles discovered this year.

The eight other children accusing him of abuse are friends of his children or the children of his friends.

Coleen S. Clemente, the defendant's Westminster attorney, declined to comment on the new charges yesterday. In an earlier interview, she said her client does not fit "the profile of a pedophile" and that he "absolutely denies the allegations."

Ms. Arty and other investigators learned of the man after one of the alleged victims -- a 9-year-old girl -- told her mother that he forced her to fondle him and consent to oral sex. When Ms. Arty interviewed that girl, other names were mentioned, including those of the man's two children. They were interviewed, and they provided the names of other children who said that they, too, had been abused.

The man has been arrested three times -- once on five charges involving the original alleged victim, a second time after the 34-count grand jury indictment was returned in July and a third time yesterday.

After his first arrest, he told investigators that some of the children "wouldn't leave me alone," court records say.

In the newest case, the man is alleged to have fondled a brother and sister several times. District Court records say one of those children told Ms. Arty that the man would hug her and then fondle her. The records quote the girl as saying the man "should be in jail. He's icky and I hate him."

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.