25 Years Ago (Week of Aug. 4-10, 1968):* The latest plans...

FLASHBACKS

August 15, 1993

25 Years Ago (Week of Aug. 4-10, 1968):

* The latest plans for Columbia's downtown area were unveiled this week. These included office buildings, a hotel, a high-rise apartment building near Wilde Lake, and Columbia's mall, which was scheduled to open in 1970.

50 Years Ago (Week of Aug. 8-14, 1943):

* A pile of trash, dumped into the Tiber River under a building on Ellicott City's Main Street, caught fire, endangering the building above, which had recently been remodeled by the Coroneos brothers. The Ellicott City Fire Department extinguished the fire and washed the remaining debris downstream. There was no damage to the building. (This building now houses Great Panes stained glass studio.)

* The 4-H Boys and Girls Rally was held at Brendel's Manor Park west of Ellicott City. Admission to the event was one piece of salvage material for the war effort.

Information for this column was compiled by Diane Mullaly from the files of the Howard County Historical Society's library.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.