Msgr. James BrooksOrdained in BaltimoreMsgr. James H...


August 14, 1993

Msgr. James Brooks

Ordained in Baltimore

Msgr. James H. Brooks, a native of Baltimore who was pastor of churches in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and of Washington, died Wednesday of internal bleeding at the St. Elizabeth Home for Nursing Care.

Monsignor Brooks, who was 88, retired in 1978 and returned to Baltimore in 1989.

A graduate of St. Ann's School, St. Charles College and St. Mary's Seminary, he was ordained at the Basilica of the Assumption in Baltimore in 1932.

His first assignment was assistant pastor at St. Rose of Lima Parish in Baltimore and then at Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Middle River.

While at the Middle River church, he ministered to Navy and Army Air Forces personnel stationed at the Glenn L. Martin plant. In 1945, he became an Army chaplain and was stationed in New York City, serving aboard transports plying the North Atlantic.

In June of 1947, just before the Archdiocese of Washington was split away from the Archdiocese of Baltimore, he returned from the Army and was assigned to St. James Church in Mount Rainier.

He was also named a District of Columbia National Guard chaplain, a post he held until 1965 when he retired as a lieutenant colonel.

In 1948, he was named the founding pastor of Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish in southeast Washington, where he remained until 1958, when he was assigned as pastor of St. John the Baptist de la Salle in Chillum and was made a monsignor.

In 1969, he was named pastor of St. Anthony's Church in North Beach, where he served until his retirement in 1978. He continued to live in the rectory there until he returned to Baltimore.

A Mass of Christian burial for Monsignor Brooks is to be offered at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Mary of the Assumption Church, 5502 York Road in Govans. Cardinal James Hickey, archbishop of Washington, is scheduled to be one of the celebrants of the Mass.

Monsignor Brooks is survived by two sisters, Mary K. Brooks and Margaret E. Paulus, both of Baltimore; and many nieces and nephews.

John H. Neumann

Machine operator

John H. Neumann, a retired box-making machine operator, died Monday after being struck by a truck while walking near his Pasadena home.

Mr. Neumann, who was 75, retired in 1981 after 31 years of service with the J. E. Smith Co.

The Baltimore native was fond of woodworking and built the one-story frame home in which he lived for many years on Shirley Avenue in the Powhatan Beach neighborhood of Pasadena. He also was known for his willingness to make repairs or run errands for neighbors.

He grew flowers and vegetables for his own family and much of the neighborhood.

Services for Mr. Neumann were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today at the Singleton Funeral Home, 1 Second Ave. S.W., Glen Burnie.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, the former Carolyn M. Bures; two daughters, Carol A. Stidham of Glen Burnie and Joan L. Johns of Annapolis; a brother, Herbert Niemann of Pasadena; two sisters, Bessie Reightler of Baltimore and June Niemann of Pasadena; and three grandchildren.

Vashti M. Jett

Hospital auxiliary founder

Vashti M. Jett, a native of Baltimore who was a founder of the auxiliary of what is now Calvert Memorial Hospital in Prince Frederick, died July 16 at the hospital after a stroke.

Mrs. Jett, 83, had lived in Prince Frederick since 1933. Her husband, Dr. Page C. Jett, died in 1990.

The former Vashti Minch was a graduate of Eastern High School and of Goucher College. She became an expert on holly and grew many varieties at her Calvert County home, Warrior's Rest.

Services were private.

She is survived by a daughter, Linda Jett Hexter of Ocean Pines; a son, Robert Page Jett of Gambrills; seven grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

William Paul Meyer

Longtime NSA employee

William Paul Meyer, who was killed in a July 10 automobile accident, was remembered at private services recently.

The 69-year-old Dundalk resident worked for the National Security Agency at Fort Meade for 36 years.

A native of Oklahoma City and a graduate of Albright College in Reading, Pa., he had a master's degree in library science from Drexel University and worked in a library in Philadelphia for a short time.

He served in the Army during World War II and was a member of the Dundalk Post of the American Legion. He was also a member of the Patapsco Lodge of the Masons.

He is survived by his wife, the former Rose Taylor; two sons, William James Meyer of Finksburg and Michael Meyer of Maple Shade, N.J.; and three grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.