3rd person convicted in Baugher's theft Woman to spend weekend in jail, pay back $20,000 CENTRAL -- Union Mills * Westminster * Sandymount * Finksburg

August 13, 1993|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Staff Writer

An Owings Mills woman was convicted on one count of felony theft and sentenced yesterday to a weekend in the Carroll

County Detention Center for helping steal nearly $80,000 from Baugher's Enterprises last summer.

Carroll Circuit Judge Raymond E. Beck Sr. sentenced Tia Ranee Gibbons, 21, of Richmar Road to seven years in state prison, but suspended all but 48 hours. Gibbons is to serve her sentence next weekend.

The judge also ordered her to pay $20,000 in restitution and spend the next five years on supervised probation.

Gibbons pleaded not guilty, but Judge Beck convicted her on evidence in a statement of facts that the prosecution presented to the court.

Gibbons is the third and last person to be convicted of the theft from the corporate offices of the popular Carroll County orchard, farm market and restaurant.

Between $13,000 and $20,000 was taken from an unsecured office safe in June 1992. In August, more than $60,000 in cash and checks was stolen.

Ryan Lamont Magruder, 23, also of Richmar Road in Owings Mills, pleaded guilty June 2 to one count of felony theft. Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. sentenced him to five years in state prison, with two years suspended. He is serving the sentence concurrently with several stemming from unrelated traffic charges.

Magruder was ordered to pay $20,000 in restitution. Judge Burns also ordered Magruder to forfeit his Saab automobile to the Maryland State Police.

Michael Fritz Cartright, 20, of Old Westminster Pike in Finksburg pleaded guilty to one count of felony theft April 28. Judge Beck imposed a suspended 10-year sentence, and ordered Cartright to pay $8,000 in restitution and serve five years of supervised probation. As part of a plea deal, Cartright agreed to cooperate with investigators and to testify against Gibbons and Magruder, court records show.

According to police accounts and court records, Cartright, Magruder and Gibbons drove to Baugher's June 29. Cartright and Magruder entered a conference room, hid under a table until other employees left, then entered the office and took money from the safe.

On Aug. 26, 1992, Gibbons and Magruder returned to the offices, where they stole cash and checks from the safe and from a bank deposit bag.

A total of $79,721 was stolen, police said. Gibbons and Magruder were former employees of Baugher's at the time of the thefts.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.