Sara M. RoopActive in social groupsSara M. Roop, a...

OBITUARIES

August 06, 1993

Sara M. Roop

Active in social groups

Sara M. Roop, a homemaker who was active in church and social groups, died Sunday of heart failure at her home in Guilford. She was 94.

"She was a Victorian and Edwardian woman who was born in a gracious age that is no longer," recalled a daughter. "She was the youngest of eight children [who] were all born in the 19th century."

She grew up on Madison Avenue, near where the State Office Building complex now stands. She was the daughter of Charles W. Merritt, who was a food broker for C.N. Merritt, a family firm, and Kate L. Merritt.

She was educated in Baltimore schools and was a 1917 graduate of Western High School.

In 1922, she married Marshall C. Roop, vice president and financial officer of the Baltimore-based Davison Chemical division of W.R. Grace & Co. The couple moved to Huntley Square in Roland Park, where they lived until Mr. Roop died in 1982. Mrs. Roop then moved to an apartment on North Charles Street.

During World War II, she knitted socks that were distributed to the armed forces by the Red Cross.

"She sure knitted an awful lot of those brown socks," recalled her son with a laugh.

She was treasurer of the Roland Park Public School PTA during the late 1940s and early 1950s, and was on the infirmary board of Goucher College and the board of the Baltimore Council of Girl Scouts.

She also was on the board of the Business Girls' Lodge of the Baltimore Conference, in the 600 block of Park Ave. and currently known as the Park Avenue Lodge, which provides housing for working single women.

She was a member of Grace United Methodist Church in Baltimore for 65 years, where she had been on the board of stewards. She was a life member of the church's Women's Society of Christian Service and was the group's treasurer for many years.

Services for Mrs. Roop were to be held at 11 a.m. today at Grace United Methodist Church, 5407 N. Charles St.

She is survived by a son, Marshall C. Roop Jr. of Towson; two daughters, Elizabeth Roop Steele of Valparaiso, Ind., and Sally Roop Kellen of Newport News, Va.; 11 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial donations to Grace United Methodist Church or a favored charity. Mary E. Glackin, a retired tavern owner and nurses' aide, died Tuesday of cancer at her Whiteford home.

Mrs. Glackin, 74, retired in 1986 after six years as an aide at the Franklin Square Hospital, but then became a volunteer for the Harford Hospice until last year.

In 1971, she and her husband, J. Raymond Glackin, retired as owners of Glackin's Tavern in White Marsh.

The former Mary E. Beard was a native of Fawn Grove, Pa., and a graduate of the Delta (Pa.) High School. She and her husband moved to Maryland in 1946, living in Perry Hall and Chase before settling in Whiteford.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10:15 today at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Pylesville.

Other survivors include four daughters, Betty Contino of Ruxton, Nancy Foltz of Bel Air, Martha Glackin of Joppa and Mary Ellen Glackin of Baltimore; two sons, Mark Glackin of Withams, Va., and Stephen Glackin of Delta; three sisters, Ella Kilgore and Josephine Glackin of Delta and Martha Devine of Havre de Grace; and five grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.