O's break out, against Brewers Walks and home runs prove lethal to Milwaukee, 13-8

August 04, 1993|By Jim Henneman | Jim Henneman,Staff Writer

When Jamie Moyer got pounded for four runs in the second inning last night it didn't leave the Orioles with a very pretty picture.

But the outlook improved almost immediately when Tim Hulett hit his first home run of the year, a three-run shot, in the bottom half of the inning. Eventually the Orioles engaged in a seventh-inning walkathon that produced four runs and led to a 13-8 win over the struggling Milwaukee Brewers.

It was Hulett who triggered the Orioles' 15-hit attack, but he had a large supporting cast.

David Segui reached base five straight times with three singles and two walks, and tied a club record by scoring four runs. Mark McLemore contributed four hits while Brady Anderson and Mike Devereaux each matched Hulett's total of three RBI.

Todd Frohwirth (5-4), who pitched 2 2/3 scoreless and hitless innings, claimed the victory after Alan Mills had pitched 4 1/3 strong innings (two hits and one run) in relief of Moyer. Brad Pennington, making his first appearance in 12 days and only his second in the last three weeks, gave up three runs before finishing it in the ninth inning.

Ricky Bones (6-8) was the loser, a victim not only ofHulett's homer, but his own control problems. Bones and reliever Mike Fetters combined to walk four straight hitters in the seventh, the first of two straight innings in which the Orioles put four runs on the board.

After spotting the Brewers the 4-0 lead, the Orioles responded with five unanswered runs before Greg Vaughn tied the game with a sixth-inning home run.

But Frohwirth entered the game two batters later and helped keep the Brewers in check until the Orioles started their walk to victory.

Although he has won seven of his last nine decisions, Moyer has had difficulty pitching at Camden Yards, where he has only one victory in seven starts. In nine starts on the road, the left-hander is 6-2 with a 2.54 earned-run average, a sharp contrast to his 7.63 ERA at Oriole Park.

That pattern continued last night. After a routine first inning, during which he retired three straight hitters, Moyer failed to record an out in the second inning, when he walked two and gave up three singles.

Juan Bell's bases-loaded single off reliever Alan Mills capped a four-run inning and it took a great play by shortstop Cal Ripken to prevent even more damage. With runners on first and third, Kevin Seitzer hit what appeared to be a routine double-play bouncer to Mills.

But the right-hander's throw was low and behind Ripken, who made an acrobatic catch and throw to first in time to complete the inning-ending play. The Orioles then used the long ball to get back into contention.

Ripken and David Segui singled with one out in the bottom of the second and Hulett ripped a 2-2 pitch into the left-center-field seats, reducing the Brewers' lead to 4-3. An inning later the Orioles tied it on a triple by Mark McLemore and an infield grounder by Mike Devereaux.

In the fourth inning, a wild pitch cost Bones the run that gave the Orioles the lead for the first time. Segui singled with one out and moved around the bases on the wild pitch, a looping single to center by Hulett and a sacrifice fly by Reynolds.

Vaughn tied the game in the sixth with his 21st home run of the year, a long blast deep into the left-field seats. But control trouble did in Bones in the bottom half of the same inning, when the Orioles walked their way to four runs.

Segui drew the first pass, then stole his second base of the year as Hulett threw his bat at a wide breaking pitch and continued to third on Dave Nilsson's throwing error. Hulett also walked and when Bones went to a 2-0 count on Reynolds, he was replaced by Fetters.

Fetters completed the walk to Reynolds and proceeded to walk Tackett to force in the go-ahead run. The Orioles continued their station-to-station attack as Anderson and McLemore each drove in a run with bases-loaded singles, the only hits of the inning. Harold Baines finished the four-run rally with a sacrifice fly.

An inning later the scoring parade continued. Anderson stroked a two-run single and Devereaux drove in two more with a double. The barrage ended only when Robin Yount leaped over the center-field fence to take a two-run homer away from Baines.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.