Davis stitched, OK after taking liner to head in dugout


August 02, 1993|By Kent Baker | Kent Baker,Staff Writer

The dark cloud that seems to be hanging over Glenn Davis' career as an Oriole opened again yesterday.

Davis underwent a battery of tests at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center after being struck on the left side of the head by a wicked foul drive into the dugout, hit by teammate Jeffrey Hammonds during the fourth inning of a 2-1 loss to the Boston Red Sox.

The injury was not serious, and Davis' wife, Teresa, said he "will probably want to be at the park tomorrow."

According to the Orioles, Davis was released from the hospital last night after a CT scan revealed no damage and a plastic surgeon stitched his left ear, where the seam of the baseball apparently struck him.

It was the latest in a three-year series of misfortunes here for the first baseman, who is hoping to return to the field after recovering from a broken jaw he suffered June 7 during an altercation outside a nightclub in Virginia Beach, Va.

Teresa Davis said her husband's jaw "is almost healed," and assistant trainer Jamie Reed said the blow yesterday "didn't re-injure his jaw. Everything looks fine at this point."

Hammonds fouled off a pitch from Danny Darwin into the side of the Orioles dugout nearest home plate, and Davis was felled.

"He got hit hard," Orioles pitcher Ben McDonald said. "Any time you get hit by a line drive like that, it's bad. The good news is it looks like he's OK."

Davis was unconscious for almost a minute before being taken from the park on a stretcher.

"I think it hit him really hard," infielder Tim Hulett said, "but I heard it was also the fall [Davis apparently fell backward, down the dugout steps, and hit his head on a door]. It's really scary."

Davis was optioned to the Triple-A Rochester Red Wings after batting .177and striking out 29 times in 113 at-bats in 30 games early this season.

He was with the Red Wings when a punch from a bouncer at a nightclub broke his jaw in two places, forcing Davis to undergo surgery to wire it shut. He is on the major-league disabled list.

Davis later pursued legal action, which is pending, against the man who allegedly struck him, Samuel Hampton.

In January 1991, the Orioles sent Pete Harnisch, Curt Schilling and Steve Finley to the Houston Astros for Davis.

Davis spent 128 of his first 186 games as an Oriole on the disabled list. An injury to the spinal accessory nerve in his neck and a lengthy period of rehabilitation forced him out of 105 games his first season, and last year, his best as an Oriole (.276 average, 13 home runs, 48 RBI), he was out of 25 early-season games with a strained muscle in his rib cage.

"Who can explain what has happened to him ever since he got here, starting with that crazy injury in his neck?" McDonald asked rhetorically.

"I hate to see anybody have that much bad luck. But Glenn is a strong man, and he is going to pull through this, too."

Teresa Davis agreed.

"It [the foul-ball incident] could have happened to anybody," she said. "He's a strong one. He'll be back."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.