Four injured when speedboat crashes Vessel hit object near Sandy Point

August 02, 1993|By William F. Zorzi Jr. | William F. Zorzi Jr.,Staff Writer

A 36-year-old Anne Arundel County woman was in fair and stable condition at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center yesterday, after she and four other people were thrown from a speedboat that sank in the Chesapeake Bay near Sandy Point Park Saturday evening, officials said.

Brenda M. Garrett of Cape Saint Claire was flown to the Baltimore trauma center from Anne Arundel Medical Center late Saturday when her condition slipped from fair to critical, said John S. Verrico, spokesman for the Department of Natural Resources.

Ms. Garrett was taken to the county medical center with a broken pelvis and broken right shoulder after an accident at 6:30 p.m. Saturday in which a 30-foot speed boat carrying her and four other people hit an object in the water and sank almost immediately, Mr. Verrico said.

Four of the five passengers were injured. Three of them were treated at Anne Arundel Medical Center and released, he said.

Natural Resources police determined that alcohol was a factor in the accident, Mr. Verrico said.

The operator of the boat, Neil G. Langford, 31, of the 1200 block of Ramblewood Drive in Annapolis, was arrested and charged with one count of operating a vessel while intoxicated, one count of operating a vessel under the influence, and two counts of reckless operation of a vessel, Mr. Verrico said.

Mr. Langford was treated for leg cuts at Anne Arundel Medical Center and released Saturday night, the spokesman said.

Natural Resources police then arrested him and took him to the Anne Arundel County Detention Center, where he was released a short time later on a $3,000 signature bond after appearing before a court commissioner, Mr. Verrico said.

Daniel J. Lane, 29, of Summerview Way in Annapolis, and Lawrence M. Robb, 43, of 1500 Themes Drive, Davidsonville, were treated at the county medical center and released. The name of the uninjured passenger was not available, the spokesman said.

Police said Mr. Langford's speed boat apparently hit a floating log or railroad tie in the water that tore a "huge" hole in the vessel's bottom. The boat bounced into the air and then sank, Mr. Verrico said.

"The officer on the scene said the boat was nearly torn in half," the spokesman said.

Natural Resources police are continuing their investigation to determine the exact cause of the accident, he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.