Man, 27, indicted on 34 abuse counts 8 children are the alleged victims

August 01, 1993|By Darren M. Allen | Darren M. Allen,Staff Writer

A Carroll grand jury returned a 34-count indictment against a 27-year-old New Windsor man accused of sexually abusing eight children -- two of them his own -- since 1989.

The man's name is being withheld to protect the identity of the children. He has been in the Carroll County Detention Center on $50,000 full bail since he was arrested last month after Carroll child abuse investigators were told by one of the children that she had been sexually abused in June. That arrest led to the investigation involving the seven other children.

The indictment charges him with 13 counts of second-degree sexual offense, seven counts of third-degree sexual offense, two counts of fourth-degree sexual offense, eight counts of perverted practice and four counts of child abuse. If convicted on all counts, the man could receive a 460-year sentence.

According to the indictment returned Friday morning, the man started abusing his son when he was 2, his daughter when she was 3 and six other children when they were 6 or 7.

The alleged victims are now between the ages of 3 and 11.

Ruth Ann Arty, a child abuse investigator in the state's attorney's office, said Friday that the alleged victims are friends of the man's children or children of the man's friends. Much of the alleged abuse took place in the apartment of the man's estranged wife, Ms. Arty said.

Ms. Arty said an investigation into other possible victims is continuing.

K? The man's attorney could not be reached for comment Friday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.