Police have no leads in manhunt Suspect sought in deaths of wife, 2 sons

August 01, 1993|By Norris P. West | Norris P. West,Staff Writer

Baltimore County police continued their search yesterday for Michael Antonio Reese, the Essex man being sought in the stabbing deaths of his wife and two young sons.

Det. Dean E. Brubaker said police were searching throughout the metropolitan area for Mr. Reese, 26, a commissary worker at the House of Correction in Jessup. But, he said, investigators had developed no leads into his whereabouts since he narrowly eluded a Baltimore police officer Friday.

"We have no idea where he is," Detective Brubaker said.

Mr. Reese is suspected in the slayings of his wife, Rhonda, 24, and his sons, Michael, 7, and Kenneth, 3. Police found the bodies of the three

victims in their home in the first block of Spicewood Court in Essex on Friday morning. All had multiple stab wounds.

About an hour after the bodies were discovered at 8:30 a.m. Friday, a Baltimore police officer pulled over a 1990 Chevrolet Beretta occupied by Mr. Reese and two other men after the car ran a red light on North Avenue at Howard Street. After the stop, the officer learned from the police radio that the vehicle was being sought in a homicide.

The officer ordered the men out of the vehicle, and they started to comply. But they jumped back in the car and fled, police said. The officer chased the car, but the men got away when the officer's cruiser collided with a car that the Beretta had narrowly avoided in the 3400 block of Park Heights Ave.

The slayings came two months after Mr. Reese separated from his wife. Since the separation, he had been staying with his sister, Sharon Rowell and her husband, Aaron Rowell, in northeast Baltimore.

Mr. Rowell said yesterday that his brother-in-law had desperately wanted to resolve marital difficulties with his wife and return to the family's home. He said Mr. Reese made several attempts to reconcile with his wife. He said he believes the deaths were directly related to those unsuccessful efforts.

"He snapped. That's all I can say. He wasn't himself," Mr. Rowell said.

"We thought he was coming around and finally dealing with the fact that his family as a whole unit wouldn't get back together."

He described Mr. Reese as a devoted father who openly expressed affection for his children by hugging them in public and taking them nearly every place he went.

"Mike was crazy about the kids, and in spite of the marital problems, he deeply cared about Rhonda," Mr. Rowell said. "Because of his love for his wife and children he wanted them to be together as a family. He wanted to do well for his family and he broke his neck trying to."

He said Mr. Reese recently joined the Israel Baptist Church in East Baltimore to help cope with his marital difficulties and the death of his grandmother.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.