Lewis' widow: Stress test was planned He was due to play supervised game here next week

July 30, 1993|By Don Markus | Don Markus,Staff Writer

BOSTON -- The widow of Boston Celtics captain Reggie Lewis said yesterday that, before he died, her husband had been scheduled to return to Baltimore next week to undergo a basketball stress test under a doctor's supervision to determine if he could continue his career.

In a statement read by Jerome Stanley, a California attorney who recently was rehired by Reggie Lewis to represent him, Donna Harris-Lewis said that even if her husband had passed the test, certain provisions would have had to have been made by the Celtics for the former Dunbar player to resume his career in Boston. A meeting with the Celtics had been scheduled for Aug. 10.

Lewis, 27, died after going into complete cardiac arrest while shooting baskets at the team's practice facility at nearby Brandeis University Tuesday afternoon. His death came less than three months after he collapsed during a playoff game against the Charlotte Hornets.

While funeral arrangements were not made public, Celtics executive vice president Dave Gavitt said yesterday that a "service" will be held Monday at 1 p.m. at Northeastern University's Matthews Arena, where Lewis rose from relative unknown to small-time college star to become the No. 1 draft choice of the Celtics in 1987. He was one of three former Dunbar players to be picked in the first round that year.

There also will be a memorial service Thursday in Baltimore, but the time and site have not been determined.

According to Harris-Lewis, the workout at an undisclosed location in Baltimore was to have been supervised by Dr. Gilbert Mudge, the Boston cardiologist who determined on May 10 that Lewis was suffering from a benign neurological problem that could be treated with medication rather than cardiomyopathy, the career-ending, life-threatening heart ailment that was the diagnosis of a team of 12 cardiologists and heart surgeons here a few days after the incident at Boston Garden.

The Boston Globe reported yesterday that Lewis and his wife had sought a third opinion last month from Dr. William G. $H Stevenson, a California cardiologist who is a specialist in disturbances in heart rhythm at the UCLA Medical Center. Stevenson, in consultation with three other Los Angeles cardiologists, had backed Mudge's opinion. But Stevenson also advised that any strenuous activity by Lewis should be monitored by a heart specialist.

"I agreed with the possibility that his episodes may have been due to neurocardiogenic syncope, but the diagnosis wasn't secure," Stevenson told the Globe. Stevenson said that there was no evidence of any definitive abnormality in terms of cardiac rhythm, but Harris-Lewis said her husband had "a distinctive abnormality in the Apex region of theheart," which could have caused Lewis to faint after physical exertion.

"Even if cleared to play, Reggie's advisers had decided, in conjunction with the third opinion, to allow Reggie to play only if the Celtics provided a defibrillator machine at all practices and games this season and provided a team cardiologist at all practices and games," Harris-Lewis said in a prepared statement that was released during an emotional news conference yesterday afternoon at the Celtics' offices.

"Reggie had not made his decision to return to basketball because his testing was not complete," said Harris-Lewis, who made it clear that her husband was fully aware of the growing conflict that resulted from the widely disparate opinions on his condition. "Reggie did everything that he could to avoid this day ever coming."

They went to California to get a third opinion. It was there that Dr. Stevenson concluded that Lewis shouldn't return to basketball until his heart was monitored during a competitive game setting.

"Reggie and I agreed with this direction," said Harris-Lewis, who did not attend the news conference and remained in seclusion at her home in suburban Dedham. "Reggie did not feel comfortable doing the competitive stress basketball evaluation at the Celtics' minicamp [earlier this month] because of the circus environment that it would have created so he planned to do the basketball testing under the supervision of Dr. Mudge next week in Baltimore. Until that time, Reggie would not and did not engage in any strenuous competitive basketball situations."

Harris-Lewis said that what her husband was doing Tuesday night -- shooting baskets -- was not in violation of "any of the doctors' opinion of safe activity" and that he had done similar things in recent weeks, activities that included shooting baskets and playing with their 10-month-old son, Reggie Jr. Harris-Lewis is pregnant with their second child.

There were early reports that Lewis had been preparing to play a pickup game Tuesday with members of the Northeastern basketball team, but they have not been verified.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.