Disbarred lawyer gets probation on drug charges GLEN BURNIE

July 29, 1993|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,Staff Writer

A former Pasadena lawyer, who agreed to disbarment rather than face jail, was sentenced to five years probation yesterday for a drug conviction that stemmed from an investigation begun when police found his business card in a student's backpack.

David K. Guite, 27, of the 8000 block of Corkberry Lane, also was given a one-year suspended jail term by Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr., which means Mr. Guite will serve the time only if he violates his probation.

Mr. Guite, who pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute marijuana June 3, surrendered his license to practice law to the Maryland Attorney Grievance Commission Tuesday and was disbarred the same day, said Assistant State's Attorney Cynthia M. Ferris.

Guite, who had a law office in the 200 block of Crain Highway in Glen Burnie, said he was sorry he ever got involved in drugs; apologized to the court, the community and his family; and said he hopes to one day teach special education students in an inner city school.

"I take full responsibility for my actions and I know I have no one to blame but myself," he said.

His attorney, T. Joseph Touhey Jr., asked Judge Thieme to grant Mr. Guite probation before judgment, which would keep his client free of a criminal record. But the judge refused, saying he didn't want it to appear he was giving Mr. Guite any special consideration because of his former status as a lawyer.

Mr. Guite was arrested after an investigation that began last September when undercover officers bought drugs from two men at a Brooklyn Park tavern.

Ms. Ferris said the two men identified their supplier as a 16-year-old male student from Brooklyn Park and an 18-year-old from Baltimore.

Police went to the 16-year-old's house, in the 5000 block of Brookwood Road in Brooklyn Park, identified themselves and asked if they could search his home and his school backpack. They found eight packets of marijuana and Guite's business card.

The 16-year-old told police that "Lawyer Dave" was their source for the drugs, and the student agreed to work with police. The 16-year-old telephoned Guite, and in a call monitored by police, arranged to meet with the attorney to pay him back $400.

When the 16-year-old and the 18-year-old met with Guite the next morning, the lawyer told an undercover officer that he could get him up to a pound of marijuana within 24 hours.

Mr. Guite was arrested when the $400 changed hands, she said.

The 16-year-old, who pleaded guilty to distribution of marijuana, was tried in juvenile court, Ms. Ferris said. Charges against the 18-year-old were dismissed.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.