ANNAPOLIS/SOUTH COUNTY--Davidsonville * Edgewater * Shady Side * Deale

July 27, 1993

Annapolis man indicted in shooting death

A county grand jury has indicted an 18-year-old Annapolis man in the shooting death of a man whose brother, a popular basketball star in the Annapolis area, had been slain four years before.

Richard Sterling Crowner of the 1800 block of Bowman Court, was indicted for first-degree murder yesterday in the shooting death of Sylvester R. Green, 30, of the 100 block of Eastport Terrace, Annapolis.

State's Attorney Frank R. Weathersbee said Mr. Green was found at about 11 p.m. July 12 by police called to the 1800 block of Bowman Court, a few yards from where his brother, Reno Green, was found shot to death in 1989.

Police said Mr. Crowner claimed that he armed himself against the victim, who had threatened him earlier in the evening. He has been ordered held on $75,000 bail.

The victim's bother, Reno Green, was killed near the same spot on July 8, 1989, Mr. Weathersbee said.

John Lee Leonard Jr., 44, was convicted of first-degree murder in Reno Green's death and sentenced by Judge Eugene M. Lerner on Dec. 17, 1991, to life without parole, Mr. Weathersbee said.

Police station escapee captured

Police have captured a South Haven woman who escaped from the Southern District station Saturday after police arrested her for assaulting her roommate.

Rebecca Jean Voith, 36, of the 700 block of Sonne Drive, was charged with felony escape. She is also wanted in Howard County for failing to appear in court for a drunken driving charge.

According to the police report, Ms. Voith's roommate called police at 6 a.m. Saturday because Ms. Voith allegedly assaulted him. Officers arrested her and brought her to Southern District station.

Because Ms. Voith had been drinking, officers did not take her to the court commissioner until noon, the police report said.

After leaving the court commissioner's office, an officer took the woman back to Southern District, where he had to pick up a copy of her warrant from Howard County, the report said.

Although Ms. Voith was handcuffed to a bench, she managed to slip out of the cuffs and run from the station, the police report said.

Police searched the area for the rest of the day, but could not find her. At 12:53 p.m. Sunday, officers on patrol saw Ms. Voith run into the High's store on South Haven Road, and she was arrested.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.