Six Miami police officers are indicted in slaying Cover-up charged in beating death

July 25, 1993|By Los Angeles Times

MIAMI -- Yet another explosive criminal case involving a killing by police is being rekindled with new federal indictments charging six Miami officers with planting evidence and conspiring to cover up the beating death of a drug dealer almost five years ago.

Four of the six officers named in a grand jury indictment last week have been tried once in the death of Leonardo Mercado. Their acquittal on civil rights charges in December 1990 led to violent protests and the burning of several businesses in Miami's largely Puerto Rican Wynwood neighborhood.

This time, those four officers, along with two others not previously charged, are accused of fabricating evidence, including planting a knife in the kitchen where Mr. Mercado died, and agreeing to lie about it.

"A lot of people are very happy about this," Bill Rios, executive director of the Wynwood Community Development Corporation, said Friday, a day after the indictments were announced. "This validates the community's belief that there was a conspiracy."

The trial of the six officers, expected to begin this fall, will once again focus attention on police actions that have led to violent deaths and equally violent community reaction. Since 1980, Miami has been rocked by four major riots sparked either by killings by police or jury verdicts involving such killings.

Mr. Mercado, 35, died Dec. 16, 1988, minutes after six officers from Miami's Street Narcotics Unit stopped to question him about a death threat one of the officers had reportedly received. Punched and kicked so hard that footprints were visible on his face, Mr. Mercado was a victim of what a police spokesman later called "just a frenzy." His death was ruled homicide.

Six officers went to trial on federal civil rights and conspiracycharges, and after six weeks of testimony, all were freed after the jury either acquitted them or could not decide on a verdict. One of the six officers originally charged died two years ago in a sky-diving accident. Another, Thomas Trujillo, has been granted immunity and is expected to testify.

"This indictment should assure people that the system can check itself," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Bruce Udolf.

In pursuing charges of evidence-planting and conspiracy, prosecutors hope to use statements the defendants made to police internal affairs investigators. Those statements were suppressed in the first trial.

Charged for the second time in the Mercado case are Officer Pablo Camacho, 46; Officer Charles Haynes, 34; Officer Nathaniel Veal Jr., 34; and Officer Andy Watson, 36. All were allegedly involved in the beating. Facing charges for the first time are Officer Armando Aguilar, 37, and Jesus Aguero, 30, who was fired from the force last December after being accused of receiving unlawful compensation and committing perjury.

Over the past 4 1/2 years, Officer Camacho, Officer Haynes, Officer Veal and Officer Watson have each received more than $180,000 in pay while under suspension from duty. During a normal work day, they are required to stay at home and check in with the internal affairs office twice a day.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.