Joseph E. Glass Jr.Public relations directorJoseph E...


July 24, 1993

Joseph E. Glass Jr.

Public relations director

Joseph E. Glass Jr., an international public relations director in New York City and a former professor at the American University in Paris, died Wednesday of complications of pneumonia at a New York City hospital. He was 28.

Mr. Jones worked as an account executive with Ruder-Finn, a New York public relations firm, traveling often to France while dealing with the company's international clients.

Earlier, he taught international politics and political economy of the developing world at the American University in Paris. Before that he had been a research analyst for the Paris stock brokerage firm, Ferri, Ferri, Germi, S. A.

A native of Baltimore who was raised in Timonium, he was an honor student at Dulaney High School.

In 1986, he graduated from Columbia University, where he majored in politics and French.

He had spent his junior year in France and, after graduation, entered a joint program of the School of International Affairs of Columbia and the University of Paris. He obtained a master's degree from Columbia and a doctorate in international economic relations at the University of Paris.

He became an Eagle Scout as a youth, and was active in student government and model United Nations groups in high school and college.

As an undergraduate at Columbia, he played the flute in the pep band.

While in the graduate program, he served as assistant editor of the Journal of International Affairs at Columbia.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Jones was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane in Texas.

He is survived by his parents, Connie Crum and Joseph E. Glass Sr. of Phoenix; three sisters, Tiffany L. Glass of Arlington, Va., and Katie L. Glass and Candice L. March, both of Phoenix; his maternal grandmother, Beulah H. Jones of Carlisle, Pa.; and a niece.

David C. Medicus

Transit scheduler

David Christopher Medicus, a Baltimore native who wrote schedules for a Texas transit agency, died July 4 of cancer at a hospice in Austin. He was 40.

Mr. Medicus, who had lived in Austin for 22 years, spent six years scheduling service for passengers with disabilities for Capital Metro.

Earlier, he had owned and operated his own taxicab. He had served as vice president of the union that represented taxicab owner-operators, and often spoke for the group before the City Council.

He also served as vice president of the union representing transit workers.

Born in Baltimore, he was reared in Severna Park and Pikesville, attending St. John the Evangelist and St. Charles Borromeo schools. He graduated from Milford Mill High School.

He also traveled extensively in the western United States and in Central America.

A memorial service for Mr. Medicus was to be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Woman's Club of Catonsville, 10 St. Timothy's Lane.

He is survived by his wife, Jackie Webster; a son, Wyatt Medicus of Austin; his father, Wyatt Medicus of Woodlawn; his mother, Marie Dalfonzo of Finksburg; two brothers, Wyatt Medicus of Severna Park, and Richard Medicus, of Baltimore, and two sisters, Beth Kelly of Austin and Dorothy Medicus of Severna Park.

Thomas S. Bennett

Retired auto dealer

Thomas S. Bennett, a Baltimore native who had been in the automobile business for many years, died yesterday of cancer at his home in Portland, Ore.

The 85-year-old Baltimore native maintained ownership of Bennett Motors, a dealership he started shortly after settling in Portland in 1968. He retired about 10 years ago from active management.

A graduate of the Gilman School, he served in the Coast Guard Reserve unit that guarded the port during World War II. Before moving to the Miami area in the 1950s, he operated an automobile business, Ruxton Motors, in the Baltimore area.

Services were to be conducted at 10 a.m. today at his Portland home.

His survivors include his wife, the former Nancy Taylor; and four daughters, Joan Dasher and Joyce Van Horn of St. Petersburg, Fla., Jill Clarke of Yonkers, N.Y., and Jennifer Yujnovsky of Parana, Argentina.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the American Cancer Society.

Geoffrey T. Jones

Retired engineer

Geoffrey T. Jones, a retired engineer, died July 14 at his home in New London, Conn.

The 74-year-old Baltimore native was an electro-mechanical design engineer for a machinery manufacturer, the old New England Butt Co. of Providence, R.I., until his retirement about five years ago.

A graduate of the South Kent School in Connecticut, he earned an engineering degree at the Johns Hopkins University. He served in the Army Air Forces in World War II, reaching the rank of staff sergeant.

A memorial service was to be conducted at 1 p.m. today at St. Martin's Episcopal Church in Providence.

His survivors include two daughters, Sharon Jones Baptiste of Everett, Wash., and Beth Davino of Walpole, Mass.; a son, Laurance C. Jones of Providence; a sister, Conway Butler of Seabrite, N.J.; and a brother, Laurance Jones of Charleston, W.Va.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.