Man fatally shot in ambush in W. Baltimore BALTIMORE CITY

July 22, 1993|By Michael James | Michael James,Staff Writer

A 33-year-old man was fatally shot yesterday as he walked along a West Baltimore street, and police are continuing to investigate the slaying Tuesday of a 17-year-old boy who was chased by a gunman who fired 14 shots at him, investigators said.

Yesterday's shooting occurred about 3:10 p.m. when a man shot Ricky Lee Cunningham in the back as he walked with a woman along the west side of the 600 block of N. Fremont Ave., police said.

Mr. Cunningham, of the 600 block of W. Lafayette Ave., was apparently ambushed by the unidentified man, police said. The gunman ran south on Fremont Avenue and was still being sought last night, police said.

Mr. Cunningham died about 90 minutes later at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, police said.

The woman with Mr. Cunningham was uninjured in the shooting, whose motive is unknown, investigators said.

Police said they are also looking for a suspect in the slaying about 6 p.m. Tuesday of Charles Henry Scott III, who was chased in an alley in the 3500 block of Oakmont Ave. in Northwest Baltimore by a man who fired 14 bullets at him.

Judging by the trail of bullet casings in the alley, the Scott youth ran several feet with the gunman firing right behind him, police said.

The Scott youth, of the 3600 block of W. Garrison Ave., collapsed with gunshot wounds to his back, torso, arms and legs, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The motive for the slaying isn't known, but it was not believed to be robbery. The victim was found with jewelry and $95 in cash, police said.

This year, 193 people have been slain in Baltimore, as compared with 179 at this time last year, police said. The 335 homicides of 1992 were the most in the city's history.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.